Mrs Charlotte Drake Cardeza

J

Jessie Manckiy

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME? IAM LOOKING FOR A COPY OF THE compensation claim THAT MRS.CARDEZR FILED ON HER JEWELS AND luggage SHE LOST. I FOUND THIS POST:

Diamonds & Tiaras

By Daniella on Monday, August 21, 2000 - 10:17 am:

Don't forget the frivorlous Mrs Charlotte Drake Cardeza and her mountain of luggage , she had a lot of jewellery with her including bracelets with 65 diamonds in etc read her compensation claim it makes intresting reading , unfortunately for her she left her jewels behind and are probably on the sea bed now .Has any jewellery been found on the wreck while excavating ????

THANK YOU

JOHNNIE

E

Edmund Turner

In the book "Titanic Triumph and Tradegy " on page 283 there is a copy of Mrs Cardeza's claim it fills 18 typewritten pages and does make intresting reading , some of the things she claimed for were -32 pairs of shoes - 15 rings - 84 pairs of gloves and a black lace gown valued at £180/$900 and inumerable hats - laces - hair ornaments - parasols - necklaces etc etc i hope this helps Johnnie
Edmund

J

Jessie Manckiy

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP EDMUND. I CANT FIND A COPY OF Titanic Triumph and Tradegy. DO YOU KNOW OF ANYONE WHO COULD SEND ME A COPY OF Mrs Cardeza's claim FROM THE BOOK ?

THANKS AGIN FOR YOUR HELP

JOHNNIE

Philip Hind

Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Johnnie or Jessie (!) please don't use ALL CAPS - Incidentally Triumph and Tragedy should certainly be amongst the easiest of all Titanic books to find. Have you looked!? Just ask at your bookshop or try online e.g. Amazon.com.

E

Edmund Turner

I would Copy the claim for you Johnnie but it would be unreadable as it is not ever so clear in the book , I would advise you to buy the book Titanic Triumph and Tradegy as its a very good book full of very good pictures although its sometimes to difficult to see what caption goes with what picture !. You probably no doubt no this but Charlottes entire luggage was valued at $177,352.75/£36,567 this included 14 trunks, 4 bags, a jewel case and a packing case I've also read else were that she brought a medicine chest with her but she dosen't seem to of claimed for any lost medicine I'm still unsure wheather she was awarded her compensation claim but I very much doubt if she ever saw a penny of the money
she might of reached a comprimise but according to some people on here, that appeared to now her personality very well !!!!! she was the not the sort to compromise ! incidentally Mrs Cardeza Claims for the loss of "2 transformations" what are they ?
Ed

J

Jessie Manckiy

Edmund THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. I FOUND A COPY OF

Titanic Triumph and Tradegy at are library and after reading it I like so well that I ordered it.

Johnnie

E

Edmund Turner

I've discovered that "Transformations" is another word for, a womans wig or hair peace, they were very popular among Edwardian ladies

D

dj gulbranson

Hello--Has anyone ever heard anything on Mrs. Cardeza having all her furniture in her suite removed and replaced with her own? I don't have Eaton and Haas book with the claim...but if this is true....wouldn't she have filed a claim for her furniture too? Thanks you so much for any information, DJ

D

dj gulbranson

Hello--Has anyone ever heard anything on Mrs. Cardeza having all her furniture in her suite removed and replaced with her own? I don't have Eaton and Haas book with her property claim...but if the furniture story is true....wouldn't she have filed a claim for her furniture too? Thanks you so much for any information, DJ

J

Jim Trebowski

Hi.Dj..Violet Jessop wrote a book and described a lady who had done this. She did not use Charlottes name, but it is assumed she was talking about Mrs. Cardeza. Also, some of her descendents have come through our exhibit in Orlando and thought that was her that she was speaking of. Now, I have a question...has anybody heard that Anna Ward (her maid) found a little girl that couldnt find her parents cabin, so she and Charlotte cared for her in their cabins?