Mrs Daniel Warner Marvin (Mary Graham Carmichael Farquarson)

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Wow! Those designs are impressive, especially the coat (the listing claims the fur on the coat is 'fresh', but the idea of handling 85-year-old fur - bleh!). It seems the firm was keeping abreast of styles and going strong in the twenties. So again, where did the money go?

Mar 20, 2007
Had to remove the link to the coat, I'm afraid - it was too long for the page. But even the most cursory Google will reveal it, in all its Jazz Age splendour. I hope Inger Sheil is around to catch it!

Glad to hear that you've had a good summer, Brian. Work commitments kept me in London for most of August but I managed weekends away in Wiltshire, Rutland, Sussex and Wales. I'm heading far, far north - to the remotest Highlands - early next month, so that'll give me a bit of breathing space!

Take your time with the Clarks. I'm sure whatever you share will be well worth the wait.

Mar 20, 2007
Further references to the firm of Farquharson and Wheelock (as well as Lucile) appear in the article below:

http://www.erikakawalek.com/frocks.html

The evening dress in question, a sumptuous raspberry and gold number from 1910, once belonged to Walter Miller Clark's first cousin, Margaret Daly Brown. It was purchased at auction by the famous fashionista, Hamish Bowles, who obviously knows a good thing when he sees it. Photographs and full catalogue details are available on the Doyle website - if you can be bothered to trawl all the way back to 2004.