Mrs Davies Davis

D

Dennis Foley

I was at the '73 TEA convention and remember a lady named Davies or Davis who presented herself as a survivor. She speaks on one of the Titanic records but her accent was so heavy I had a time understanding what she said. Does anyone know who she was (if indeed a survivor) and what became of her? Dennis Foley

Apr 16, 2001
Dear Dennis,

Mrs. Frances James attended the 1973 T.E.A convention in Greenwich, Connecticut. Survivor Frank Goldsmith had corresponded with Mrs. James for years and knew that she lived a short distance away from the gathering. Jack Eaton told me that he and other T.E.A officers went to pick her up at her home to bring her to the convention.

Mrs. James claimed to be survivor Mary Davis, yet this was not so. Mary Davis was still alive at that time and was living in Syracuse, New York. To confuse matters, Mrs. James related that she was travelling with her step-father, who was later lost. There was nobody on the passenger list who matched the description left by Mrs. James. Unfortunately, nobody bothered to check the details of who Mrs. James claimed to be. She fooled Frank Goldsmith and the T.E.A. officers.

As of this date, my fellow researchers agree that Mrs. James was not a Titanic survivor. Judging from the account she left, and by those who met her, her memory was failing and one could recognize that she was not well physically or mentally. I met Mrs. James' granddaughter back in 1991. She herself believed that her grandmother did not sail on the Titanic. Mrs. James may have innocently thought herself a Titanic survivor - a claim that many elderly men and women would make in their later years.

Mrs. James passed away in Stamford, Connecticut, in December, 1976.

I hope this information will be of some help.

Sincerely,

Michael Findlay