Mrs John Pillsbury Snyder

K

Katie Rosen

I was visiting my inlaws in Poughkeepsie, NY this weekend. Their next door neighbors came over. Conversation turned to Katie and her obsession with Titanic (my in laws think I'm nuts and like to point it out to folks).

Anyway, it turns out that the neighbor's daughter is friends with a woman who's grandmother survived Titanic. I asked the name of the survivor, but the neighbor didn't know. This is the information she did give me.

She knew the grandmother was somehow involved with the Pillsbury family. The grandmother was returning from her honeymoon, both she and her husband survived and all of her newly acquired purchases in Europe were lost. The grandmother's father had told her to always respect the power of the sea and if you're ever aboard ship and they tell you to get in the lifeboat, DO IT!. And the daughter or granddaughter (who is the friend of the daughter of the neighbor) wore her grandmother's wedding dress because it was considered good luck as she and her husband survived Titanic.

Well, I told the neighbor's I would have the name for them the following morning. I had my dear patient hubby log on with his lap top, and thanks to Phil Hind, his wonderful site and all you saddos, I had the name in minutes. I'll tell you, the next day, the neighbors were impressed!

Anyway, Mr. and Mrs. John Pillsbury Snyder were lowered in the first lifeboat, 7, so that jibes with the story of her father's warnings.

Neal (hubby for those who don't know me) is friends with the neighbor's daughter, who lives in Syracuse, NY. We can get in touch with her and ask for an introduction to the granddaughter. I don't know the granddaughter's name.

Anyone out there interested in following this up? Should I do so? Who knows what information the granddaughter might have. I've never met a relative of a survivor, I wouldn't know how to go about broaching the subject. I do know that Mrs. Snyder didn't mind talking about Titanic, as the family is well aware of her story.

Phil G, I'm calling your name!

Katie

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Katie!

Mrs. John Pillsbury Snyder attended the 1973 THS convention. I didn't get to talk with her for very long, but she was a dear little lady. (She reminded me of my grandmother.)

Nice to see you here, Katie! :)

All my best,

George

Apr 16, 2001
Mrs. Snyder did not attend the 1973 T.H.S. convention - she attended the one in 1977 in Greenwich, Connecticut.

Katie,

If you wish, I would be happy to put you in touch with Mrs. Snyder's grandson, Steve Miller, who is very interested in his family history and has many interesting stories about his grandparents, as well as numerous photographs.

Incidentally, one of my favorite quotes from the Snyders comes from a 1955 interview with John P. Snyder:

"My wife and I only visited Europe twice. Following our marriage in 1912, we journeyed abroad. Only trouble was we took the Titanic back and were fortunate to be among the 700 survivors. I finally convinced my wife to return to Europe once again in 1938. While in Austria, we ran into Hitler's troops on the road to Vienna. We just didn't seem to plan our visits right."

Mike Findlay

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Phil Gowan wrote:

>And I'm hearing the call--

Hi, Phil!

Go for it, old chap! If the rest of the Snyder descendants are as helpful as Steve is, you've got some good information waiting for you. (We'll be looking forward to seeing your new discoveries when your book comes out.)

All my best,

George

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
George,
Again thinking of the (former) heartthrob of American women (Marty Feldman)--and remembering his character in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN--"Eye-gor"--am thinking of Dr. Frankenstein telling him that he was a brilliant surgeon and could "probably fix that "'ump"--to which Eye-gor responded "What 'ump?"

In the spirit of that great and talented heartthrob I have to ask--"What book?"

Phil

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Phil wrote:

> In the spirit of that great and talented >heartthrob I have to ask--"What book?"

Hi, Phil!

What book? I'm talking about the Last Word in passenger research that I see in your future. (You've obviously forgotten that I have psychotic ... er, I mean "psychic" powers.) :)

By the way, let me know if you need Steve Miller's address -- he has some material that I know you'd like to see (if you haven't already.)

Take care, old chap -- I hope to be able to see you again in the not-too-distant future. (I had such a great time during our recent visit to a certain lady that I'd enjoy getting together with you again; just think of the enjoyment we'd get from tormenting former heartthrob 'Lance' Whitfield in person.) :)

All my best,

George