Mummy

Remco Hillen

Jan 6, 2001
First of, i can be short in the story of the mummy, There was no mummy aboard.

About that Old Tommie tail, that story was being told, a employee of HW was captured in the double sides of Titanic, and left there.
Not true, because Titanic didn't had double sides....only a double bottom.

Remco:)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sorry, but there was no mummy, no curse, and if there was a coffin lid of any kind aboard, it never made it on the manifest. (I've seen it.) You might want to check out This Hotlink for the facts on this tale. The coffin lid that you mentioned was in the British Museum and is still there.

K

Katia

Once again, Hi Remco!

Like I probably said the thing about Old Tommie may only be a tail, trying to explain what people of the time didn't understand: why a such great, beautifull and big ship went down, but the story that you're talking about is about other two man who were left on another ship, not the Titanic. "Old Tommie" supposdly died because some boards fell down on him and so he died; but his bodie (if the story is true!!!) was found and people knew about what happened to him!). The story you were talking about was about 2 men who were building another ship in England I believe (I don't remember the name of the ship) and were captured in the double sides of the ship. Anyway, they dissaperead and they're bodies were only found many years later when the boat (after many disasters with no reason) was being destroyed.

Sorry about the english!!!!
:eek:)Kátia

T

Tracey McIntire

Hi! I understood that the story of the mummy on Titanic originated from a story that W.T. Stead had told to a group at dinner one night about a mummy in the British Museum. As you may know, Stead was quite a believer in ESP and the supernatural. After Stead died in the sinking, the story was repeated incorrectly, saying that the mummy had actually been on board Titanic. This seems to make the most sense, as we all know how distorted stories can become the more they are repeated.

V

vickie williams

Thanks for clearing that up, i'm new to this hopefully i will learn how to separate the facts from the myths!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Jeremy! Yes, that is a rather good debunking of the Mummy myth. It's a good idea to reference websites you cite, however - particularly when you're quoting such a lengthy section! - as this material is copyright. For those wondering, the passage Jeremy quotes is from the legenday Snopes.com site:

http://snopes.com/horrors/ghosts/mummy.htm

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
And since it is copyright, the post has to be removed from the public board...which I've already taken care of.

Sorry about that, but leaving it up like this could get the Editor and your friendly moderating team sued by the copyright holder.

For more information on copyright law and how to avoid running afoul of same, click on any of the links below;
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/
http://www.benedict.com/
http://www.eff.org/IP/cpyrt_myths.faq

titanicjohn

Apr 12, 2012
I was reading this piece in my local newspaper which suggested that there were rumours going round at the time saying that a cursed mummy was on board. Is this true?

“While in New York, Delia met many survivors from the Titanic and was told by many that they believed the reason it sank was because of a ‘haunted Egyptian mummy' on board.”￾

Source: Titanic Anniversary: Titanic 'lucky love' story revealed

jlj93byu

Apr 11, 2012
I was reading this piece in my local newspaper which suggested that there were rumours going round at the time saying that a cursed mummy was on board. Is this true?

“While in New York, Delia met many survivors from the Titanic and was told by many that they believed the reason it sank was because of a ‘haunted Egyptian mummy' on board.”￾

This is a persistent rumor, yet most definitely not true. There is no record on the ship's cargo manifest of anything that could be considered related to Egyptian history, and there was also not a single Egyptian archaeological displays or events in all of North America at that time that would require that transportation of Egyptian artifacts to the continent.

Hope this helps! I actually address this question in my Myths and FAQs section on my webpage, Living Titanic - Home Have a great day!

Horkus

Apr 13, 2012
As the person below noted, there is no evidence of any Egyptian antiquity on board. But perhaps more pertinent is the fact that there is no such thing as a "curse".

“While in New York, Delia met many survivors from the Titanic and was told by many that they believed the reason it sank was because of a ‘haunted Egyptian mummy' on board.”

G

Guest (R17)

Was there a mummy on the Titanic ? I read about it on the Metro... I also read in the same article that Yoko has sorted out her burial arrangements & is to be mummified and put into a real egyptian mummy case when the time comes. Anyway is all this true? I have never heard about the mummy on the Titanic ? Article said whoever moved the mummy would die. I will try and post a scan.

Jul 12, 2003
I was just cruising the internet for stuff like haunted houses and things and found a site that talked about legends, myths, etc. Some listed (to give you an idea of the content) were Bermunda Triangle, Loch Ness, Vampires, Ouija Boards, Spontaneous Human Combustion, etc. Towards the end of the list was mention of the mummy on the Titanic. I thought I'd relay what I read in a somewhat condensed form.

It is an interesting story. Basically it talked about Princess Amen-Ra who died and was placed in a wooden coffin and buried in the vault of Luxon (neat the Nile). Four guys from England wanted to buy the coffin when it was excavated so they held lots. The guy who "won" had it brought to his hotel room. Later he was seen walking into the desert and never returned. Another guy was shot accidently and lost his arm. A third guy lost his life's savings. The fourth guy got very sick and lost his job. The coffin was then sent to England amid a bunch of other bad things happening to anyone having contact with it. Someone in England bought in and his family ended up being in an accident and his house burned down. He then donated it to the British Museum. Bad things happened to people during its transit to the museum and to people in the museum having contact with it. There were too many things happening to remember and then list here.

Later a photographer from a newspaper heard about all the stuff going on and wanted to get a picture of the coffin. He then shot himself. The museum sold the mummy to a private collector, who after a series of mishaps, stored it in an attic. He then called some lady to see if it could be exorcised but she could't do it and just told him to get rid of it. This is where the mummy hitched a ride on the Titanic.

B

Brian R Peterson

“A cursed mummy sank the Titanic”

No, it didn’t.

This is one of the most ridiculous rumors of the Titanic story.

The story alleges that a wealthy American purchases an Egyptian sarcophagus as a souvenir of the his European travels, then continues his travels until he arrives in England and books a First Class passage for the Maiden Voyage of the Titanic with his sarcophagus being loaded into one of the cargo holds of the great ship. This sarcophagus was rumored to be cursed and had caused all of its previous owners to die in unexplainable accidents, and that this curse caused the Titanic to sink.

Early indications that this is indeed a myth occur when the teller of the tale is pressed, they can never provide any further information about the sarcophagus, the owner or quote any sources or subsequent historical documentations of the object or its prior owners.

Furthermore, a search of the cargo manifest of the Titanic on her fateful voyage reveals that no Egyptian sarcophagus was ever aboard the ship.

This tale originates only days after the sinking from the testimony from First Class survivor Frederick K. Seward, a prominent New York attorney. Now had it only been this testimony the mummy story would never have become as large at it has.

However, Seward’s testimony was condensed by Jay Henry Mowbray in his book “Sinking of the Titanic: Thrilling Stories from Survivors.”

Seward tells during his interview with Mowbray that fellow First Class passenger and spiritualist William T. Stead entertained his dinner companions with tales of the occult and spiritualism aboard the Titanic.

One of these tales was of an Egyptian sarcophagus in the possession of the British Museum which carried a deadly curse to whoever attempted to write a history of the object. However, notice how Stead only talks of just a sarcophagus, with no indication of a mummy contained within.

This small detail was overlooked over the years and the empty case was replaced with an actual mummy in subsequent retellings of the myth. Notice also that the curse only applies those attached to compiling a history of the sarcophagus, not through ownership.

It is through this small detail that Seward implies that Stead’s telling of the tale of the sarcophagus somehow cursed the Titanic. It is later written that Seward states he was not superstitious and was later quoted to saying:

“I guess on the whole, it is a story I will never tell.”

It would appear that Seward, the only survivor of all the people around the table the night Stead told his mummy story, planted the seed of the Titanic Mummy Myth.

Best Regards,

Brian