Question Murdoch bag buttons

H

History1912

Hi there, does anyone know what manufacturer the buttons were that were recovered in what was apparently William Murdochs satchel? I know that raynor & sons of Liverpool were reputed to be making the white star line buttons from 1910-12 but have always wondered what make the ones recovered were…

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum,

does anyone know what manufacturer the buttons were that were recovered in what was apparently William Murdochs satchel? I know that raynor & sons of Liverpool were reputed to be making the white star line buttons from 1910-12 but have always wondered what make the ones recovered were…
I don't know if that has ever been established. Although from what I can find, Miller and Son of Southampton supplied many of the uniforms and buttons for White Star vessels that were based out of Southampton. It was done quite often. In 1912, the company changed its name to "Miller, Rayner, Haysom Ltd: Naval, Military, Shipping & Colonial Outfitters". They are still in business today and continuing to supply to the British Merchant Navy.

As well, brass buttons were imported from the Waterbury's Button Company in the U.S.

Source: Uniforms worn by Titanic's officers | William Murdoch

Reactions: History1912
H

History1912

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I don't know if that has ever been established. Although from what I can find, Miller and Son of Southampton supplied many of the uniforms and buttons for White Star vessels that were based out of Southampton. It was done quite often. In 1912, the company changed its name to "Miller, Rayner, Haysom Ltd: Naval, Military, Shipping & Colonial Outfitters". They are still in business today and continuing to supply to the British Merchant Navy.

As well, brass buttons were imported from the Waterbury's Button Company in the U.S.

Source: Uniforms worn by Titanic's officers | William Murdoch
Thank you. I have always been curious about this as there are so many makers of the buttons, it’s absolutely amazing the original company are still in business today!

I wonder if an email to premier exhibitions/ ems titanic inc would foster any results in researching this topic? Or are they known to simply ignore inquiries?

Thanks so much!

Reactions: Jason D. Tiller
Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
you. I have always been curious about this as there are so many makers of the buttons, it’s absolutely amazing the original company are still in business today!

I wonder if an email to premier exhibitions/ ems titanic inc would foster any results in researching this topic? Or are they known to simply ignore inquiries?

Thanks so much!
You're most welcome!

RMSTI might have further information on this. I think they are pretty good at replying to inquires. I'll send them an e-mail.

H

History1912

You're most welcome!

RMSTI might have further information on this. I think they are pretty good at replying to inquires. I'll send them an e-mail.
Thank you kindly, I definitely think it’ll benefit my research and others too.

Reactions: Jason D. Tiller