Murdoch's White Star Line "Record of Service In Company"

First Officer William Murdoch's White Star Line "Record of Service In Company" is now available to view for those interested: William Murdoch's WSL Service Record | William Murdoch

Although it may raise more questions than provide answers as it reveals that he served aboard the Majestic briefly before being transferred to Titanic -when it was previously thought be went straight from the Olympic to Titanic.

Does anyone have any further information on this?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
That can not be right. Murdoch was on Olympic till 8. March 1912 if I am not mistaken. On the 24th March he signed on the Belfast list as Chief Officer for the Titanic, his last given ship was the Olympic. We also know from other crew members (like Lightoller, Pitman, Lowe, Boxhall etc.) that he was on board Titanic in Belfast.

Only a guess by myself, if the entry is right, possibly it was planned that he go to Majestic and joint the Titanic later. But that would be really strange! (I also can not remember any letter of him mentioning that he would go to Majestic first and then to Titanic.)

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Only a guess by myself, if the entry is right, possibly it was planned that he go to Majestic and joint the Titanic later. But that would be really strange! (I also can not remember any letter of him mentioning that he would go to Majestic first and then to Titanic.)
There is one thing I completely forget about, the coal strike! Majestic did not sail, she was at berth 46 towered together with St. Louis and Philadelphia.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Majestic was, in fact, laid up as a reserve ship in March-April 1912. She had made her last crossing in November 1911, and didn't return to service until May 1912, when she took Titanic's place on the Southampton service.

And, Dan, you write on your site that "Another notable fact is the omission of the Germanic in 1904..." By 1904, Germanic was no longer with White Star; she made her last White Star crossing in September 1903, and spent 1904 with IMM's American Line, although still named "Germanic," and then in 1905 became the Dominion Line's ottawa.