Music that fits the scene

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Wish I had been able to jump into this foray much earlier. Anyway, I'm here now. When I hear Macy Gray, I ask myself, "How come she made it and I couldn't?" (*sigh*)
Teri, did you ever figure out the "Josephine and the Flying Machines" reference?

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Teri asked: Did you add your Lawrence Beasley annotations to your website? If so, what is that address again?

My website is: www.patcook.org but it isn't about the Titanic (except peripherally). Also, the annotations haven't been placed anywhere as yet (other than scattered around in my office). This has a lot to do with getting permission to use some material (One publisher wrote me expressly stating that I 'could not put any part of it on the internet').

Best regards,
Cook

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Teri wrote:

> I've heard nothing but good things about you on >this Board.

Hi, Teri!

Sounds like you haven't been listening to the right people; Geoff W., Pat C. and Bill W. will be happy to set the record straight for you. :)

>I know you wrote a book entitled, "Titanic,
> Safety, Speed and Sacrifice." >I'll be purchasing it in the next two weeks, then >I'll be able to comment on it.

I hope you'll enjoy reading it, Teri. (After you receive it, please contact me privately -- there's something I'd like to send you.)

>How long did it take you to write this work?

The actual writing didn't take very long -- but the research took 25 years. :)

>Sacrifice, hmmm. I wonder WHO made the sacrifice. >I can only guess for now. But whatever the >sacrifice is, i'm sure you told it good!

Well, I tried. :) Thanks for the vote of confidence, Teri. Although it's quite possible that you won't agree with my book's conclusions, I'm reasonably certain that you'll be exposed to a lot of information that you've never seen before.
At any rate, I hope you'll find the book interesting.

> Goodnight for now ~

Sleep well, and I'll see you in the morning. :)

Bill Wormstedt wrote:

> re: George B. and sacrifices:
> George prefers goats and volcanos. The volcanos >are kinda hard to find in the wilds of Michigan, >though.

Hi, Bill!

Yes, I have to resort to filling my Hibachi with gasoline and then touching it off with a fifty-foot-long taper. (But oh! that goat meat sure is tender when I'm finished....) :)

All my best,

George

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Pat wrote:

>(One publisher wrote me expressly stating that I >'could not put any part of it on the internet').

Hi, Pat!

Is that particular material something that you could paraphrase instead of quoting verbatim?

In any case, I sure hope you'll find a way to publish your "Annotated Beesley" -- I've already reserved a place for it on my bookshelf. (Well, actually, I've reserved a place for it on my floor, since I ran out of bookshelf space three years ago and now have multiple stacks of books piled all over my sanctum.) :)

All my best,

George

Apr 7, 2001
Kyrila,

No, I never did figure out Sam's "Josephine and the Flying Machines" reference. I fear he's still in bed recovering from his night of many pints! Would you care to enlighten me?

Teri

Apr 7, 2001
George Behe,

25 years???? Blimey! That's a long time, my friend, to be researching some work. It's a good thing Titanic hasn't changed in 25 years, else you'd be constantly changing your text. Wow, 25 years. Long time. No wonder I didn't become a researcher in my career!

You have something for me? I'm so excited! Now I can't wait to get my copy! I should have my copy by next Thursday or Friday! Oh boy!

If I don't agree with your book's conclusions, that's okay. I've heard it all by now anyways. I can probably guess what it's going to say, but nonetheless, I sure look forward to reading the material you say I haven't seen before! I'm sure I'll find the information interesting, as it took a good 25 years to compile! And for that I am deeply respectful of your efforts!

And George ~ I'll be sure to listen to the right people from now on! (Geoff W., Pat C. and Bill W.)

I had a good night's sleep too, fresh and awake now at 4:30 a.m. here.

Yours,

Teri

Apr 7, 2001
Pat,

Went to your site and read "Who's Dying To Be a Millionaire?" Great piece of review work! You should have become a review marker, you'd make a very good one. You'd be much better than those awful guys Ebert and whatever his partner's name is, can't remember it at the moment. I NEVER listen to them. IMHO, those blokes do a horrible job and they don't know a darn thing about movies!

So you consider Reginald Smarmy to be oily, eh? Interesting.

Ah, permissions, permissions. Such tedious and time consuming work, eh? But maybe you could do as George Behe suggests and just paraphrase your work where needed. I didn't know you could "cheat" this way of paraphrasing text so one does not have to be granted permission. If I ever run into any trouble with permissions, I'll remember that!

Please let us know if you should decide to post your Titanic work on the web or in book form!

Sincerely,

Teri

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Teri wrote:

> 25 years???? Blimey! That's a long time, my >friend, to be researching some work.

Hi, Teri!

Yes, I was only 3 years old when I first started doing Titanic research. Dear old Grandpa Geoff Whitfield (who was 67 at the time) used to bounce me on his knee and tell me Titanic stories before my bedtime; I've been interested in the subject ever since. :)

(Let's see -- if Geoff was 67 then, and that was 25 years ago, that would make Geoff....) :)

All my best,

George

Apr 7, 2001
Mr. Behe! Mr. Behe!

Was out shopping all day with the money that arrived early and was not able to find your book. Had to order it from B. Dalton. It should arrive in about a week. I did however, find a copy of David Brown's "The Last Log of the Titanic" and got one. I kept thinking to myself, how neat it is that I can communicate with the authors of these books. The cashier probably didn't care, but I sure did!

You started your Titanic interest at three? You as a young child must not have been very hard to please. All your momma had to do was read you a Titanic book and you'd be as happy as creamed-pie for hours! How lucky she was! Hey maybe you could blame your Titanic interest on your grandpa Geoff's knees...

So you've put considerable time and effort into your book. I don't think I could wait that long to complete a project such as that. I'm too quick to get things done.

Look forward to receiving my copy.

Sincerely,

Teri

May 5, 2001
By Kyrila Scully on Saturday, September 8, 2001 - 11:08 am:

Wish I had been able to jump into this foray much earlier. Anyway, I'm here now. When I hear Macy Gray, I ask myself, "How come she made it and I couldn't?" (*sigh*) Teri, did you ever figure out the "Josephine and the Flying Machines" reference?

Hi Kyrila, I hope you joined the fracas soon enough to know that I believe the words to the song should be:

"Come Teri Lynn...... in my flying Machin'/swayin' to and fro'/to and fro'" Good thing the girl that sings this on "BACK TO TITANIC", does a better job of it then I just did.......
happy.gif

Regards, Bill

Dec 13, 1999
Mr. Behe, that would make me 92 years old, in which case my Grandpa Cook must now be around 120.
There are those who say that he could well be and that the lovely Rose Ann Cook must really be his great grandaughter!
For the record, I would like to make it perfectly clear to the esteemed members of this Board, that at no time has Mr Behe been permitted to sit on my lap - nor anywhere else for that matter, and it is all just an ugly rumour.....mind you, there was that time back in 1974, just after that party when...............

p.s. Speaking of ugly rumours..."Good Morning" Cook!!

Geoff

Pat Cook

Apr 26, 2000
Geez, I just read this and it's 6 am. And "Good morning" to you, sir.

Now, regarding Behe's and Whitfield's ages...put it this way, when the Titanic was being built, these two held a hammer.

Now, pardon me while I perform my morning ritual of trying to open both eyes in unison while listening to the Beatles' "Blue Jay Way".

Groggilly yours,
Cook

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Teri!

>So you've put considerable time and effort into >your book. I don't think I could wait that long >to complete a project such as that. I'm too quick >to get things done.

I guess I've probably given you the wrong impression. I didn't actually do research for that specific book for 25 years (actually, it's closer to 30 years!); rather, my *general* Titanic research has lasted that long, and the subjects that I've chosen to write about (Titanic-related psychic phenomena, 'early' icebergs etc. etc.) have ultimately *resulted* from that research.

>Hey maybe you could blame your Titanic interest >on your grandpa Geoff's knees...

What a horrendous thought.... :)

All my best,

George

Dec 13, 1999
Teri, Horrendous thought indeed! Why, when I was a child we were so poor that my Mother used to rub my legs together to make a fire - a trick she had learned in the Boy Scouts - don't ask!!