My conclusions about the Grand Staircase

J

Jared Berger

[ http://www.matmice.com/home/clowreed11/explaintitanic.jpg ] Before i get into my therory, I first want to said that i know there are supposedly no pictures of the Forward GSC, and second is that the picture above *is* titanic, i can tell from the wood grains. OK now to my info....I beleive that the picture above is infact the forward GSC. Fist of all is if you look at the red arrow in the picture, it points at a section of railing. If this was the aft GSC, it would not have that section of railing, the aft only had one section of railing between the stairs and the start of the curve. Second, if you look at the green arrow, it points to the ceiling (floor of boat deck) where the curve meets the next section of rail. in the aft GSC, that would be closer to the stairs, almost right over the bottom of them. And last, my best proof, look at the blue arrow. what its pointing at is a tiny white box. Sorry that this picture is bad, but in my exploring the titanic book (by robert ballard) i have this picture of the GSC, and that white box is a lighted sign. Apon closer inspection i found the letters ELEV on the sign, and the rest is covered by the pillar. I know that sign must say Elevators/Elevator, and only the forward GSC had elevators, so the sign would not be there if it was the aft GSC. There, im done. Any comments, aurguments, etc.?

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Jared,
I'm not quite sure where you're coming from here. There's no dispute that the picture you are referencing is the forward grand staircase of the Olympic. In fact, you've missed the biggest 'proof' of all - the carving of Honour and Glory Crowning Time.
There are plenty of pictures of the forward Grand Staircase of the Olympic, and several of the aft, as well. Both were distinct in design, and were virtually identical in design, respectively, aboard Titanic. There are still no known, documented photographs of Titanic's grand staircases, especially to 'compare wood grains'. There are a few reasons for this conclusion:
1. The Olympic was the first in the class, and was extensively photographed to promote the Olympic-class ships: Olympic, Titanic, and Gigantic (later Britannic)
2. Titanic was virtually identical in most respects, and was not photographed extensively because:
a. of the reason above - she was almost identical in this area
b. She was being finished right up to the time she sailed for Southampton
c. She sank, and obviously because of this, there was less time to capture photographs of her. The builders, of course, had no inkling of the ship's future demise, and might have idly thought that there would be plenty of time to document the ship on film once she completed her return voyage to the UK.

You will find that most of the proven, documented photographs of Titanic's interiors are in areas where she differed from her sister, Olympic. This includes the Cafe Parisian and the B-deck suites and private promenades. For some reason, the gym, though very similar to Olympic's, differed enough to warrant several pictures made of the room by the shipyard photographers.

Thank you for your analogy, Jared, but unfortunately, you were merely stating the obvious with the exception of one fact - this staircase is of Olympic.

Kind regards...

J

Jared Berger

thats very strange, because this is the exact same photo as in every one of my books... The shadows are all the same in the area next to the stairs to the left, in the area that is dark... do you have any pictures that you know for sure are titanics aft GSC?

J

Jared Berger

What i meant by wood grains was every picture ive seen of olympic had a distinct dark spot in the grain on the panel to the left of the clock.