My favorite lines

Nov 30, 2000
My most favorite lines from the movie come -fittingly- from Dirk Pitt:

"You want to talk about distress, we have Navy weather forcasting a force-12 storm, we have Russians looking down our throats and we are on a ship that never learned to do anything but sink, that's distress."

Next time I hear a cheap Titanic joke, I will respond with this quote! :) Let's hope I remember it correctly. LOL :)

Sep 26, 2009
In the movie, Dr. Gene Seagram and his girlfriend Dana go fishing. She wants Gene to put her worm on her hook for her and says the line just before a helicopter breaks up their fishing trip and returns Gene to Washington, D.C. Robert H. Gibbons

S

sharon rutman

Oh here's a good one--Dirk Pitt on the newly raised Titanic sneers in exasperation: "We're on a ship that never learned to do anything but sink!" as the Commies and a hurricane threaten to disrupt their quest for byzantium (not on board,of course).

OK I'll try to straighten out "wormy on the hooky." For one thing it sounds infantile, doesn't it. Secondly it was uttered by a woman (sigh) which pretty much destroys female credibility. Who can take women seriously if they act like giggly high school cuties just to make their boyfriends look good!? And, for what it's worth, Anne Archer's character was supposed to represent the emerging strong career woman of the late 1970's-early 1980's until she reverts to the stereotype of female helplessness by acting completely juvenile when going out with her boyfriend on the ill fated fishing trip. Does this help?

S

sharon rutman

Here's another good memorable scene--Dana Archibald encounters her old boyfriend Dirk Pitt (who she once shacked up with many moons ago) and after uttering some absurdly silly small talk, Pitt blurts out "He's (current flame Gene Seagram) not good enough for you. To which Dana responds "You didn't think anyone was good enough for me." The end result is that Dirk not only did not rekindle his old flame, but he obviously didn't get any that night. What a shame for the Titanic studmuffin. He sank faster than the Titanic did.

S

sharon rutman

Dirk Pitt and Gene Seagram almost having a male version of a catfight as they trade snide comments. PRICELESS!!!!

And let's not forget the big romantic breakup scene between Dana and Gene when she blurts out that she was stupid when she broke up with the swashbuckling Dirk Pitt. Gene has a hissy fit and storms out and of course Dana is in hot pursuit wailing after him "I'm sorry!! I'm sorry!!" This almost has wormy on the hooky beat.

Jan 2, 2008
That movie is full of cringe worthy lines but i do like "we're on a ship that never learned to do anything but sink" Ha.. Guess it was a little late to teach an old ship new tricks