My General Feeling

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
This is my 500th post. So I want to make it a good one.
How much have I learned since being here?
More than imagined.
This place is like home. A port in the storm.
I thank one and all for being here and sharing your thoughts and beliefs with me.
The bond of this board is unique and hard to find on the web.
We have something special, I feel, and hope for its continuance.
Ya' all be cool, right on, Don
happy.gif

M

Melissa E. Kalson

Well we hope you'll be around to make another 500 posts..
happy.gif
I enjoy reading your posts and comments. Sincerely, Melissa K.

Feb 21, 2003
Well Don,

This is my 90th post. I have some catching up to do to catch you. Anyway, the ET board is more like an extended family in a way. Plus we are educators for new people just finding Titanic. Being here is a joy, and I have been in quite a few lists and UseNet groups. There is more civility here then in some other forums I have been in. It is great to share knowledge and gain knowledge too. You are right, there is a real bond between ET members and I have not found this type of 'bonding' in the UseNet groups.

T

Timothy Brandsoy

I too have a way to go to break your 500! But in other sites specific to a catagory, Mercury Cougars in my case with 1000+ posts we are also a close knit group. We wear Hawaiian shirts to car shows to identify ourselves! The more focused the site the more serious we tend to be. I have yet to meet anyone one from this group ;-( although I have had a few personal e-mails about various things.

Do "we" ever get together at the Queen Mary in LB CA? It would be great to meet the people from here. I'm still a Titanic novice by the standard set here. But as in life (a not so old 47) I still keep on learning!

E

Ed Hachey

Interesting topic and one I've encounted in any other Internet chat site.

My general feeling of the site's mixed -

I've learned alot and think some of the reference materials can't be matched elsewhere, but...

I find the message board uneven - it's a patchwork of great give-and-take discussion, unneccessary personal chatter and 'sermons' that won't allow other opinions.

As a group, the idea of high school with its array of 'clicks' is my idea of its definition rather than calling it 'close knit'.

Granted, all this is from one who rarely posts; but, I do check out the site with some frequency and the topic's 'my general feeling' so...

Jun 18, 2007
"I've learned alot and think some of the reference materials can't be matched elsewhere"

No arguments there...this is really the only place to find pertinent and current info on that topic which brought us all here in the first place...

"As a group, the idea of high school with its array of 'clicks' is my idea of its definition rather than calling it 'close knit'."

I've also seen this, and I've sauntered about here long enough to gain what I think is an objective opinion. I suppose it's the dynamics of any group, with certain people gravitating towards their own kind, and others being left to either find a group to fit into, or drift amongst the groups like stray bits of pack ice. I guess it's the breaks, and if the groups don't want you, they don't want you. (Some will disagree with this, but it would be difficult to dispute it easily).

Perhaps it's less like high school, and more like Edwardian England. ;)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I find the message board uneven - it's a patchwork of great give-and-take discussion, unneccessary personal chatter and 'sermons' that won't allow other opinions. <<

Well, exchanges, sometimes uneven are what forums of any kind are all about. As for not allowing for other opinions, I would put it to you that they are allowed for.

That doesn't mean they're above being challanged.

Especially when some of the members are bona fide historians who make researching the reality as opposed to the mythos a part of their lifes work, as well as subject experts who know the nuts and bolts details on the hows and whys of shipboard operations.

Just a little something to think about.

Pat Winship

May 8, 2001
Well, when you've got such an enormous range of interests and levels of expertise-- from kids who start out believing that Jack and Rose are real to master mariners to survivor relatives to authors of Titanic books-- of COURSE it's going to be uneven in quality! My best advice is to read it for a while, decide which posters you consider to be the most interesting, and watch for their posts.

Pat W

Mar 15, 2001
Congratulations on your 500th post. I don't exactly remember how I found this site but I couldn't imagine not being a member. For me, meeting so many that post in here has really been special for me. ET is a good place to visit after a hard day at work.

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Hmm, I'm trying to remember how I came upon this site. I'm thinking it was suggested to me on another, totally unrelated site. Anyhow, I've been reading and posting here since the fall of 2000, and I've been fortunate to meet and make friends with some of the regulars here.

T

Trent Pheifer

I can't even remember when I started coming here! I am sure it was in '98 or '99...I didn't post for the longest time. This was one of the greatest places to learn about every aspect of Titanic. Everyone here has always been so great and helpful to me. Even though I was only 14 or 15 when I started posting, you all took my post serious. I have only been able to meet a few of you but all the friendships I have made on this board will last a lifetime. I cannot even think where I would be, Titanic wise, if it was not for ET. Probably draining ever bit of information from a book! I would just like to thank you all for everything over the years. I look forward to many more posts.

-Trent