Mar 3, 2010
THE
DISASTER
OF THE
TITANIC

WRITTEN BY
ROCKY WHITESIDE

SEPTEMBER 2008

WE SEE MONTAGES OF ‘OLD FILM’. SOME FAKE, SOME AUTHENTIC. WE HEAR DEPRESSING MUSIC. CREDITS ROLL WITH THE FILM. FADE OUT.

WE HEAR A BLASTING NOISE, ITS FROM THE SOUTHAMPTON BOAT TRAIN, ITS RUSHING AT US, FROM A DISTANCE, SMOKE BELLOWING OUT OF ITS SINGLE STACK. WE PAN OUT, VIEWING A DOCK, IN THE NOT TO FAR DISTANCE WE SEE A FOUR FUNNELED STEAMER, IT’S FUNNELS PAINTED A WONDERFUL BUFF, A BLACK HULL, AND WHITE SUPERSTRUCTURE. THE TRAIN COMES TO A HALT BELOW US.

WE ARE ON EYE LEVEL WITH THE TRAIN NOW, THE DIFFERENT CLASSES VERY OBVIOUS, AS THEY START POURING OUT OF THE TRAIN, FIRST CLASS CARRYING NOTHING, BUT A CANE, OR UMBRELLA, HERE AND THERE. THEIR PUSHING AROUND PORTERS, SOME MORE NICELY THEN OTHERS. THE THIRD CLASS, CARRYING THEIR BELONGINGS IN HAND. SECOND CLASS WAS REALLY A MIX OF BOTH.

WE GO TO THE PIER, WHERE THE PEOPLE OF SOUTHAMPTON ARE GATHERING TO WISH THE MIGHTY TITANIC OFF.

WE PAN UP TO HER BOAT DECK, WHERE WE SEE CREW MEMBERS WALKING AROUND, AND PASSENGERS TOURING THE MIGHTY SHIP. WE WATCH A MAN ENTER THE GRAND STAIRCASE, A SMALL NOTEBOOK IN HAND. IT’S THE SHIPS DESIGNER, THOMAS ANDREWS. WE ENTER WITH HIM, THE ROOM IS LARGE AND SPLENDID. HE LOOKS AROUND AND WALKS DOWN TO THE LARGE DESIGN OF HONOR AND GLORY CROWNING TIME, HE WIPES SOME DUST OFF THE TOP OF THE BEAUTIFUL CLOCK.

A MAN, BRUCE ISMAY, THE DIRECTOR OF THE WHITE STAR LINE, WALKS UP THE STAIRCASE, TO ANDREWS.

ISMAY: Tom. Thomas!

HE SPEAKS WITH A VERY POSH ENGLISH ACCENT, ANDREWS TURNS AROUND, HIS EYEBROWS RAISED, AS IF ASKING HIM WHAT HE WANTED. ANDREWS ALSO GIVES A SMALL SMILE, WHEN HE SEES WHO'S CALLING HIM. HIS ACCENT IS A THICK IRISH ONE.

ANDREWS: Well, hello Mr. Ismay.

ISMAY: Listen, I just finished touring this ship for the umpteenth time, and it’s so big, that I get lost, every time this happens!
ISMAY LAUGHS. HE SAYS THE SAME THING EVERY TIME HE TOURED THE SHIP. ANDREWS JUST LETS OUT A SOME WHAT GRUNT.

ISMAY: What’s that you have in your hand?

ISMAY TAKES THE NOTEBOOK OUT OF ANDREWS HANDS.

ISMAY: Three more screws in the coat hangers, polish stateroom handles? You’ve designed two of the most beautiful ships in the world, and your worried about silly little things like this?

ISMAY LAUGHS, AND ANDREWS TAKES THE NOTEBOOK AND TUCKS THE NOTEBOOK UNDER HIS ARM, WITH A SMILE. A STEWARD WALKS BY AND ANDREWS STOPS HIM.

ANDREWS: Excuse me, but could you get the dust on top of the clock, thank you.

THE STEWARD WALKS TO THE CLOCK AND TAKES OUT A WHITE RAG, HE QUICKLY WIPES IT, AND HEADS INTO THE BOAT DECK STATEROOMS.

ANDREWS: Well, Mr. Ismay, I must be off, shall I see you at lunch?

ISMAY: Of course, Tom.

FADE OUT

what do you think, it needs a little sprucing up, but...

May 3, 2005
Seems a bit like a lot of ANTR rehashed ...Lightoller was on the train in ANTR. There also seems to be a bit of discussion as to Thomas Andrews' accent in other threads on ET.

If it's any consolation, I have some far worse on my website under "Professor Smith and the Time Machine" on.:
http://www.johnwpaige.com/robert/
Professor Smith and the Time Machine
July 29th, 2005
Dr. Andrews Ismay Smith, Ph.D., ( a remotely related descendant of the family of a captain of an ill-fated ocean liner and whose first and middle names were for those of ancestors who were connected with ocean liners in the 1910’s) is a Professor at the Northern University of Time Studies. ( N.U.T.S.) Together with a staff of scientists, engineers, technicians and experts in the fields of construction of electronics equipment and computers, he had developed in the year 2012 a Time Machine and had traveled back to the fateful nights in April , 1912 and was aboard the RMS Titanic, busily recording the events aboard that ship on a specially designed state-of-the art video recorder, disguised in a wooden case resembling an old-fashioned crank operated movie camera. He had obtained permission from Captain Smith , J. Bruce Ismay , Thomas Andrews and the rest of the officers and crew to roam about the ship at will in all areas. On the fateful night of April 14, 1912, at 10:40 PM ship’s time, there was an incident which of course was the climax to Smith’s efforts. After the collision and the aftermath, as the water slowly rose to the bridge. Smith muttered under his breath to himself, “Time to get back to the year 2012.”A red light flashed on the indicator screen of his control box and the display read “Battery power too low to activate controls. Can not activate command.. Can not ………can not………………………..not.” and the screen went blank………….

Epilogue:

Fear not for Smith. Clinging to wreckage and floating near a strong -willed eighteeen year old girl who was also clinging to some wreckage and had somehow managed to retrieve and blow a whistle to which the officer on the rescue lifeboat heard , he was one of the few who was rescued and eventually returned to New York aboard the Carpathia. Addled by his experience, he searched his brain for some method to recharge the batteries during the entire length of the return trip on the Carpathia, It was not until he reached New York , disembarked and roamed the streets until he finally thought of contacting a wizard of electricity in nearby Menlo Park, New Jersey, managed to recharge the batteries and return to the year 2012., So all’s well that ends well. When asked later why he did not think of re-charging the batteries by solar power during his stay that sunny morning on the Titanic, Smith laughed. “I don’t see what’s so funny !”, a friend replied. Smith answered, ‘It was cold that morning on the deck of the Titanic so I put on my overcoat. I put the Remote Control Unit in the pocket of my overcoat,in the deep dark pocket of the especially constructed hermetically sealed , waterproof and most of all light proof pocket !”

P.S. Dear Reader. :
In case you are wondering how we know all about Professor Smith’s adventure, considering this is being written in the year 2005 and the time machine was not invented until 2012 ? That’s very simple. Professor Smith was as easily able to get back to the year 2005 as it was to get back to the year 1912 and he did us the favor of a visit to give us the story.

However, please accept my best wishes and my best regards to you for your efforts !

J

J.P. Wachtel

Hehe youre forgiven ^_^ Although I am 13 and dont support plagarism ;)