My painting of the Lusitania

Hi Everybody,

with you all I am in court of realization of the plan of the winchs of the lusitania with four sights!
I post a small picture so that you look my work!

winch_lusitania_by_leon0001.jpg

Kind Regards.

Hi Lionel,

I scanned this color sample from a slide taken aboard Mauretania 2 in the late 1950's. This is, on my screen, about the correct color. Hope this is useful.

Best,
Eric

Hi Eric Longo,

Thank you very much for you help of the color funnels lusitania.
I infinitely thank you for your assistance for this reference of color.

Did you see my new plan of the winch on another post?

See and known as me what to think you.

PS: My painting and acrylic resin with water this liver.

Regards.

john j. judge

Former Member
lionel, merci beaucoup pour nous partager cette belle peinture! elle m'intíƒÂ©resse et j'espíƒÂ¨re que vous continuez le bon travail! je ne peux pas attendre la derniíƒÂ¨re version!

Salut john j. judge,

Merci pour votre commentaire j'espí¨re que j'arriverais í  finir ma peinture car bientí´t je vais recevoir mes plans du lusitania.

Salutation í  vous.

Translation:

Hi John J judge,

Thank you for your comment I hope that I would manage to finish my painting bus soon I will receive my plans of the lusitania.
Greeting with you.

Hi Lionel,

It looks the same to me as the last image you posted, no? Admittedly, I have a 102 degree fever right now, but the funnels are still red and they look to go too far back on the superstructure. Perhaps too tall and wide as well as placed too far apart/back? There was a good bit of structure aft of the last funnel as you know. Just trying to help
happy.gif

I looked again at the link to the model site provided by Samual Halpern to support his red funnel contention, but oddly that site clearly states the QM and QE funnels were in fact orange, not red, in the 1950's and 1960's (pages 16, 17 and 18). There are photographs and color samples at the model site as well and they are clearly orange. The same example I gave, a basketball orange, is mentioned, as well as Testors International Orange. I believe the color sample I provided is indeed correct.

Best,
Eric

Hi Eric Longo,

I have to modify the color but it is my installs numerical which makes redder in truth!

Said me if it is necessary that I still make more orange!

Look link:

lusitania_funnels_orange.jpg

Kind Regards.

Hi Lionel,

"Said me if it is necessary that I still make more orange!"

I am sorry I don't quite follow you there - if you are asking me if they should be more orange the answer is YES!
happy.gif
Look at the link provided earlier in this thread by Samuel Halpern and you will see the color we are speaking of there.

Best,
Eric

Lionel - this quote is from the model site linked earlier in this thread: "The painters developed a clever solution. A mixture of bright ochre and buttermilk was applied. With the heat of the smokestacks, the paint mixture literally "cooked" onto the stacks and stayed put."

Hi Lionel,
I just noticed this and perhaps you know this as a painter. Paint with milk as vehicle/binder - casein - has been in use for thousands of years, not just since Napier as the quoted text seems to imply.
I am anxious to see your finished work
happy.gif

Best,
Eric

Leon,

Eric is 100% right. If you check the Lusitania modeling tutorial I wrote at the TRMA, I have an RGB solution (corrected to Adobe-calibrated monitors) in there that should match very closely the original funnel color, as shown in the link that Sam provided.