My real time sinking animation

Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
I don't have the technical know-how to do the coal dust, it would require a full on particle simulation, smoke simulation, etc. And it would eat up render-time. But I'm going to be doing the emergency lighting if thats what you're referring to by the lights slowly dimming to red.

Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Entire animation is done and on youtube. Its unlisted right now due to updating to 1080p, right now its extremely blurry and hard to make anything out. I've mentioned this in private messages but the breakup sequence was rushed due to me having work obligations and no longer having time to work on it. So I thought it would be appropriate to go ahead with the upload rather than waiting until 2019 to begin working on it again and get it up to my standards.

Here is a google document I made that shows and lists all the sources used in the creation of the video as well as the script I used for keyframing the ships movements and subtitles: Sources for Real Time Titanic Simulation Revised v3

I'll update this post with the animation link when the video is updated to 1080p and released to the public.

Thanks again to
Code:
@Itsstillthinking
and
Code:
@Kyle Naber
for their contributions in making revisions to the animation.

Full animation can be found here:
Code:
nI8WvWI0_5s

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Hello all;

First thread here, I hesitated to create one as I don't usually do this but I've ran into a bit of a conundrum while animating the last few minutes of the animation. Everything from 11:40 PM - 1:30 AM were going relatively okay and then the ship basically never matched up with survivor accounts of where the waterline was. If it was matching in the bow it would be off in the stern, and vice-versa. This led me to thinking that I had modeled the sheer incorrectly (as what happened in the 1.0 animation) but as far as I can tell it is correct.

So here is what I have polished after 12 hours of keyframe revisions:

Code:

2:00 AM

Even though Bright noticed in Boat D at 2:05am that the forecastle head was just submerging then, its already submerging here. I can't resolve this without lowering the forward trim angle or raising the ship from the water. Boat C is lowered.

Code:

2:05 AM

The lights are beginning to dull further, and water has now reached the base of A-deck on the port side. Boat D is lowered and Bright observes that the forecastle head is submerging. Boat C reaches the water and occupants on board note the forward well deck was awash and is now submerged.

The forecastle can only be brought back above water to be accurate if the forward trim angle is reduced and the ship lowered in the water, which seems odd. why would the forward trim lessen? (or am I going crazy)

Code:

2:10 AM

Water reaches the roof of A-deck / floor of the Boat deck on the port side.

Code:

2:13 AM

The roof of the Bridge on the port side begins to submerge.

Code:

2:13:05 AM

Roughly 5 seconds later the ship dips downward at an alarming rate, and her port list lessens somewhat. A wave washes up the boat deck as this happens.

Code:

Just a short time later the forward funnel collapses as water begins to surround its base

Code:

2:16 AM

The 2nd funnel is submerged at the base by around 20 feet and collapses.

Code:

2:18 AM

The ships lights flicker then go out, just as the ship breaks in two.

Any thoughts on the waterline as shown here?

Regards,
Pheonix​

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
The waterline looks accurate to me. Especially just before the breakup. A lot of other animations show the ship too high out of the water, in my opinion. They forget that the ship isn’t just rotating, it’s sinking, therefore, the deck will be dissapearing as well as slanting steeper.

However, I think the port list would have returned after it settled on an even keel for a time. There are reports of the deck “rising” for a moment as the boat deck plunged, and I interpret that as the port list returning, as the port side dips down and the starboard side lifts up.

Also, this is quite a picky and spotty topic, but there are also a few accounts which talk about how some of the lights remained on after the break.

Overall, I can’t wait to see the finished product! It’s looking really good!

P.S. How will you depict the stern settling back?

Reactions: Titanic Animations
Mar 9, 2018
Georgia, USA
Thanks, the port list does return a little. I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't check but during the plunge the port list lessens to around 5 degrees, and then increases back to 7 or 9 degrees. I could be wrong about this though, I've changed so many angles and keyframes within the past 24 hours they're all a blur.

As for the breakup itself, I'm using this Breakup

Dec 23, 2017
May i ask in what way are you basing this off? Obviously you are not basing it off the angles but the v-break theory? I personally think there is no real evidence for the v-break theory, but anyway keep up the great work!

Kyle Naber

Oct 5, 2016
I really hope the Honor and Glory team sees this! They could always use other theories to bounce off of and compare to.

Reactions: 1 person

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
The updated animation looks great! I love seeing the ship's port-list and seeing the Titanic get blotted out by the Iceberg in the foreground at 1:24 is terrifying. Also love the lights slowly turning on randomly as stated.