My theory of the ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 4, 2007
I've watched this movie many times. Every time I got to the ending, even though it was a beautiful tear-jerker, it left me a little confused.

It's only this last time that I watched it and realized something!

The research boat in which she dies in her sleep, is situated right above the titanic wreck site. the site is also the graveyard of the victims in every sense.

Every person that she sees in her sleep died the night of the sinking. This means that the victims' spirits welcome her! I mean, this would be the only other time in her life Rose would be at the exact site of the wreck. It's like they were waiting for her all along, and now she is home....

I better stop writing before I cry again...

Dec 29, 2006
Witney
I suppose the ending is open to several interpretations. I assumed that Old Rose had simply fallen asleep and was dreaming - hence the "ship of dreams" reference.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I interpreted it as Rose dying. Only because, by nature of the storyline, there was no room for a sequel and therefore no need for Old Rose to stick around. And, with Cameron's Flair For the Obvious, it is doubtful that he would introduce an element of ambiguity with only two seconds running time left to go in a 42 hour long film. The rest of the film was so literal, so amusingly unsubtle ("Jack...this is where we met!") that animated, flashing, keywords with indicator arrows would not have seemed at all out of place ("Villain" in red, appears over Cal the first time we see him, with a blinking arrow pointing directly at him) and, in such a setting, Rose sleeping vs Rose dying would introduce a jarring false note. She died.

S

sharon rutman

Rose doesn't seem terribly impressed by the Titanic at first sight. She dismisses the ship out right by saying, "I don't see what all the fuss is about. It doesn't look any bigger than the Mauritania." As Rose continues her narration she also indicates that the Titanic was a ship of dreams to everyone else. To her it was a slave ship taking her back home in chains. Not a promising start to a maiden voyage of the biggest ship in the world.

Feb 24, 2004
I can't remember - did Rose ever have anything good to say about the Titanic?? I'm thinking of Bertha Watts's remark when she was informed about Ballard's discovery of Titanic's wreck: "I don't give a d*mn."

'-)

Roy

S

sharon rutman

No, she didn't. All she did was find fault with almost everything. Remember when she, Cal and Mom were touring the ship with Andrews, she says that after doing some sums in her head she comes to the brilliant conclusion that there weren't enough lifeboats on the ship. At lunch with Mom, Cal and Ismay, she makes a snide sex joke to Ismay about Titanic and the male preoccupation with "size". Nasty and icky, that Rose!

S

sharon rutman

About the ending .... was old Rose really dead? Or was she having some weird out of body experience? We'll never know for sure.

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
I think Rose snuffed it when she had the vision of her and Jack on the Grand Staircase. What surprises me is that others might disagree with this. She dumped the necklace overboard, went to bed, and her life ended. At least that's my spin on it. I did cry at that point because that's when the enormity of the whole shebang (no pun intended) washed over me.

Nov 15, 2006
I have always looked upon the ending as Rose dying in her sleep and returning to be with her one and only love - Jack.

S

sharon rutman

Still I prefer a definitive ending to a movie or TV show. Remember how disappointed everyone was at the non-ending of the Sopranos? Did Cameron leave room for a sequel for the unanswered questions? Did they have a funeral at sea for Rose over where the Titanic sank? Is there a spark of romance in the air for Brock and Lizzie? Hmmmmm.

Jul 12, 2003
I, too, interpret the ending as Rose dying in her sleep. But I guess mine is a more romantic view. I think her tossing the necklace into the ocean is something like a metaphor. It was called the Heart of the Ocean and Jack, her one true love (in my eyes), the one she gave her heart to perished in the ocean. To me, it was like joining her heart and his.

Linda Cooper

Sep 23, 2007
My two cents - Rose died in her sleep.

Like Jack said to her when they were in the water (sorry not verbatim): "Rose, you're going to die an old woman in your bed".

I also agree with what Svetlana stated below (and I quote):

"Every person that she sees in her sleep died the night of the sinking. This means that the victims' spirits welcome her! I mean, this would be the only other time in her life Rose would be at the exact site of the wreck. It's like they were waiting for her all along, and now she is home...."

May 3, 2005
Linda-

>>Like Jack said to her when they were in the water (sorry not verbatim): "Rose, you're going to die an old woman in your bed".<<

I think these last scenes might have been intended as "teasers" by Cameron left to be interpreted either way - sleeping or dying - but going back to Jack's line might have been intended to be another "teaser" as a clue. I believe the line was "die an old woman warm in your bed." (Also not verbatim and probably still another "teaser" for comparison with being in the freezing water.)

There have also been some opinions that the final scene was intended to be sort of a cinematic "curtain call."

S

sharon rutman

Rose didn't exactly die in her own bed if the ending is to be believed. She died in a tiny cabin aboard a research vessel after she threw that stupid diamond overboard.

May 1, 2004
Pacifique du Nord
"The ending was left deliberately ambiguous about that so there's room for endless light-hearted debate about it." Michael, I thought it was left deliberately ambiguous because Cameron was going to make a SEQUEL! Hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.