Mysterious Survivor Postcard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2006
I have a postcard addressed to a Miss Clear Cameron sent not long after the disaster by whom I believe to be another survivor. The writer goes into detail about her recovering nerves and how she is beginning to find solace now that the disaster has left the headlines and the reporters have stopped harassing her for interviews. The card is mailed to the NY address in which Clear worked as a maid in 1912 (I have matched the address with that according to her biography). It is signed Elizabeth with "Lizzie" following it. The writer refers to her address as 6_9 Br_____ St (can't totally make out the address), Philadelphia. Would anyone have anyone have any idea as to who this possible survivor was. I would be greatly pleased with any thoughts...

Trevor Powell

Aug 22, 2005
Phillip- It would appear that the sender is (likely) Elizabeth Wilkinson (Faunthorpe). She, like Clear, was a second class passenger. Doing a quick search I see that after the disaster she went under the wing of her cousin at 669 Brooklyn Street, Philadelphia. It seems she went by the nickname of "Lizzie". Where did you obtain the postcard from? Welcome to the board, BTW.

Sep 6, 2006
Hi- Trevor, Thanks allot for your suggestions and response. I obtained the card a number of years ago from a stamp/ postcard dealer after I placed an ad in the paper searching for Titanic memorabilia (this was before ebay). I was considering selling it to someone who can appreciate it more though.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Phillip -

Sounds like a wonderful item. I can't help but think how thrilled the late Ted Dowding (Clear Cameron's nephew) would have been to have heard about it. You didn't ever happen to have contact with him, did you?

Sep 6, 2006
Hello there, Inger- I'm sorry for my delayed response. No, I was never in contact with any of Clear's descendants, but I regret not doing so. I have to wonder if the family owns/acknowledges any more correspondence between other survivors and Clear. I am curious as to how good of friends Clear and Elizabeth were and how long they remained in touch. Good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.