Mystery Cargo hold grid/barrier?

T.Johnson

Aug 21, 2016
Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong place- I've tried to find somewhere to discuss wreck details, but this seems the most likely forum to get an answer.

I've been analyzing wreck footage for the past 8 months. I've never had a problem identifying a location or a piece of wreckage before. But I've found something that has definitely left me stumped.

In the documentary "Deep inside the Titanic", a grid is shown apparently separating the bunker hatch the third class passengers, whilst they were making their way down to the ORLOP deck. According to the documentary it is in the "recreation area", which I could only assume most likely fits the description of the open space of D deck.

There is also footage of the same area in 2012's "The final word", from a different angle.

I can't find anything that resembles this grid blocking an area from the bunker hatch anywhere, on any deck. Nor very closely with any of the other hatches either.

Please see the attached image below. I've sketched what I see and shown the video references with labels, as well as the proposal locations for this apparently unmarked grid/barrier

I've suggested it might be on C deck on hatch no.1 or randomly placed in the permanent 3rd class area on E deck, which could possibly called a "recreation area".

Thankyou for your time!
Happy rivet counting, I look forward to hearing from anyone.

MysteryGrid.png

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
If I remember right it has nothing to do with the 3rd class.
The bunker hatch (hatch No. 3) is trunked on G Deck and if my memory it not wrong it was on that deck.

T.Johnson

Aug 21, 2016
The bunker hatch (hatch No. 3) is trunked on G Deck and if my memory it not wrong it was on that deck.
Thanks for the reply Ioannis! However, after looking at the plans for the bunker hatch on G deck, I can't see anything like a wall to the left of the bunker hatch on either side. Unless it was a large piece of cargo. The grid also only exists on one side of the hatch. Any further thoughts? I agree it's probably not 3rd class and definitely not in the open space.

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
There were no "walls" the hatch was trunked and you can see doors on both sides (port and starboard) where it was accessible.
I would need to take time to look at the dive footage. I remember I had the discussion last year I think but can not remember much.

T.Johnson

Aug 21, 2016
There were no "walls" the hatch was trunked and you can see doors on both sides (port and starboard) where it was accessible.
I would need to take time to look at the dive footage. I remember I had the discussion last year I think but can not remember much.

Indeed, there are no "walls" on the plans but trunked appears to mean "walled" (a solid structure rather than a grid which surrounds the hold) as pages 193 and 194 of vol II of the ship magnificent states.

Which is what we could be seeing on the left and it could be a doorway where the wall/trunking ends. However, this raises questions in my mind -

-If it is trunked on the athwart ship side, could the grid be on the longer side? Even though it's marked as trunked on the plans?
-Why does the grid stop short of the wall/trunking on the right?
-Is there a walk able ledge inside the trunking? (it appears that there could be a walk able ledge in the bunker hatch on G deck, otherwise reaching the specie room would not be possible through the door marked on the plans on the inside of the hold).

The no1 hatch is apparently trunked on C deck according to the Beveridge plans (which shows square corners on the plans to indicate trunking on cargo holds), but the screenshot above shows rounded edges surrounded by no walls/ walls that aren't visible because they're further from the light, thus meaning there's a walk able ledge between the rim of the hold and the trunking walls. This could also be further evidence of walk able ledges inside the trunking. Or the plans are wrong or I'm mistaken about the square edges indicating trunking.

I've added an image that shows what the plans might be omitting if it truly is on G deck.

MysteryGrid2.png

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2008
Germany
I see what you mean. Haven't come to search or look at the dive footage yet. I am starting to wonder if it might be E Deck. I wrote that it has nothing to do with 3rd class but now I remember why I had this in my mind. In one documentary (something with last secrets from 1998 with Bernard Hill) they show the same ones stating it were closed to keep 3rd class back from going up (which of course is nonsense).

Reactions: 1 user

T.Johnson

Aug 21, 2016
I see what you mean. Haven't come to search or look at the dive footage yet. I am starting to wonder if it might be E Deck. I wrote that it has nothing to do with 3rd class but now I remember why I had this in my mind. In one documentary (something with last secrets from 1998 with Bernard Hill) they show the same ones stating it were closed to keep 3rd class back from going up (which of course is nonsense).

In that documentary it claims that this is hatch no.2 , although it's proved itself as a bit of an unreliable documentary due to the claims about locking 3rd class below decks.
It's a real mystery. I bet someone knows the answer though. Do you know of a place where such raw footage would be available ?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Do you know of a place where such raw footage would be available ?

Sadly no, as you and many others I have to use what was made public.
However having a quick look at Deep Inside the Titanic they wanted to go down to the orlop deck and into the baggage room. In the baggage room there were such bars if I remember correct separating the port and starboard side.
However such barriers were also on other decks where the hatch was not truncked to avoid anybody falling into it when the tarpaulin was not in place.

T.Johnson

Aug 21, 2016
If that is really the look from above down into Hatch No. 3 (where Robin was and filmed the deck in question) it shows the ROV Robin several decks down.

I'm not sure if it coincides with the video footage of the mystery grid. For example, the time stamp during the video of the mystery grid states "Robin Jour 2 , heure 14:15:00" which is vastly different to the clip in the first class baggage room which says " Robin Jour 1, heure 12.45.00 " - 'Jour' meaning day, thus they were taken on different days. So the clip looking down into hatch 3 could have been taken on either day and it's quite likely that the editor didn't sync it up with the footage from the robot, so it could be at any point in time during either dive.

But, upon realising this, I also found out that the grid/fence seen just before our mystery grid in the "secrets revealed" documentary is in the mail room grid/fence and was filmed 1 hour before our mystery grid was filmed. Thus the mystery grid was filmed upon exiting the mail room. So my hypothesis about it really being hatch 1 is now mostly debunked.

I'm really thinking that this is G deck -

Since G deck was the only trunked deck apart from the ORLOP deck (for the no.3 hatch) and they didn't use the ORLOP deck to get to the mail room, it probably is the G deck trunking- with a grid on the athwart ship edge and walls on either side with the doors blown open in the middle of those walls. Along with a walkable ledge on the inside of the trunking around the hold.
This is supported by the screenshot of hatch 1 from earlier, where there is supposedly trunking according to the plans but no walls immediately around the edges of the hold. Thus showing that there might be walk able ledges inside the trunked holds.
It's also supported by the fact that there's a door inside the trunking on the ORLOP deck, there'd need to be a ledge under this door in order to access the species room.

The metal debris seen against the grid on the left marked in purple seems door shaped/sized and is made of steel due to the lack of rusticles - thus, it could be one of the steel doors seen on the G deck plans that open through the trunking to get to the hold. Thus why there's such short walls seen and labelled in green in the first post, they are doorways with the doors missing.

Do you also think it's now G deck ?

MysteryGrid3.png