Mystery music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
In 1997, my parents sent me a newspaper clipping from the Northern Echo newspaper, based in Darlington (coincidentally, WT Stead was one of its first editors). The article was about a North Eastern researcher who had, in his own mind at least, determined what the final hymn was. It was a piece of music that was not in the White Star songbook, was extremely obscure, and which no survivor recalled hearing. I wrote to the paper to inform them that this research was bogus, but, got no reply (not surprising for the Northern Echo). I have, however, lost the newspaper clipping. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Best wishes

Paul

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
The more I think about it, I am sure that the song either has the title, first line, or tune of "Oh Guide Me, Oh Thou Great Jehovah". Doesn't sound like the kind of song that a person like Hartley would play at the end.

Best wishes

Paul

Maria Marsh

Jul 23, 2004
My Aunty Nellie was on board the Titanic and survived. If you read Senan'n Molony's The Irish Aboard Titanic you'll see on page's 176 - 178, Aunty Nellie says they sang "Nearer My God To Thee"

Maria Marsh

Jul 23, 2004
There was also an article in The Limerick Chronicle dated May 7th 1912. The sad part about Aunty Nellie is that she died just 5 year's after the disaster during the flu epidemic in America. I hope this solves your problem??

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Hi Maria,
What was the name of your auntie? Do you knew which lifeboat she escaped in, and how far she was away from the Titanic when she heard the music? Do you know which version of NMGTT was played?

Best wishes

Paul

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
The writer of the article in the link above must have a tin ear. "Autumn" doesn't fit "Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah". The verses are a line too short and the tune doesn't suit the repetitions at the end. "Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah" is a well-known hymn and usually is sung to a majestic Welsh tune.

You can hear it here, though the midi is too fast for my liking.

Cwm Rhondda - GUIDE ME, O THOU GREAT JEHOVAH

Aug 29, 2000
I agree Dave- Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah is certainly well-known in Baptist and Methodist circles-and after a whirl on my piano just now- Autumn is not even close in the running on text to the tune. I can tell you one thing though-if I get to heaven, the first thing I plan to ask is just what WAS played that night. It's almost incentive to lead an exemplary and pious life just to find out!

Aug 29, 2000
Just checking the text Dave, - and other than for the phrase in the last verse "Vanity is all I see"- the Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah hardly fits the sinking scene sentiments either!

Status
Not open for further replies.