News MYSTERY re: orphaned children of Catherine Jane Wallis, researched by Andrew Williams

Deb Wallis

Apr 12, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me. I read Andrew Williams' brilliant write-up on my great-grandmother's 4 orphaned children, Melita (my grandmother), James Robert Wallis, Frederick Walter Wallis, and Cecilia Horrisa Wallis. Their mother Catherine Jane Wallis (nee Moore) was widowed in 1911 and went on the Titanic as a crew member to support her children.

Mr. Williams says the second son, James Robert Wallis was born in the USA, but all the others were born in Southampton. We in our family have never heard this before, but he sent away for a birth certificate and says it states his birth was in the US. I can't imagine them going to the US for the birth of one child when they had one already, (my grandmother Melita)and then return to Southampton where they all grew up. It's just weird-can anyone help? There is no email address for Andrew Williams or I would contact him directly. His last post was in Oct. 2011 on this subject. I really appreciate all his hard, hard work on this subject, which greatly interests me. sincerely, Deborah Wallis, Waterloo Ontario Canada

Jake Peterson

Mar 11, 2012
Iowa, USA
Hi Deb; I have seen Andrew post on this forum n the last few days. I'm sure he'll see this post.

You said she worked on Titanic as a crew member. Could it be possible she worked on other White Star Line Ships, and gave birth while the ship was held over in the U.S. waiting for the return voyage home, then once back, took some time off or quit to pursue a career as a housewife?

just a thought...

A

Andrew Williams

Hello to Deb Wallis,

Rather late as I've only caught hold of your private message. Yes it is true Deb - James Robert Wallis was born in the United States, that's according to his death certificate of 1984. His death was registered in Southampton which leaves another mystery adding to this biography of Catherine. I have only recently managed to make contact with a member of the family in Britain and agreed to share this new discovery. The gaurdians of James Robert were the Norton who also lived in the same road as James Robert at Chandlers Ford. The Nortons are buried in Southampton's Old Cemetery.

If you would like to contact me privaetly we can discuss the matter.

A

Andrew Williams

The other source of proof can be found on the 1911 Census. If you write to me privately Deb, I can provide you the evidence you're seeking.

Apr 11, 2012
Southampton
Hello!
I am another member of the family still living in Southampton. Annie Norton was my maternal Great Grandmother.
One of my cousins, who lives locally, has quite a lot of information about our family and we would be delighted to hear from you.
With best wishes
Christine

Deb Wallis

Apr 12, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hi Andrew,

Thank you so much! This has prompted another family member to write as well! How exciting! My great-grandmother did work previously on the Olympic! But-would she have worked that close to giving birth? Would they have allowed her to? And where does it state that he was born in the U.S. ? If you know? Or how would I find out? Do you have his exact date of birth. I was told it was 1904. His other brother, Frederick Walter Wallis died July 26 1929 at age 21years and had crewed on the HMS Majestic and HMS Revenge-I have a picture that I think is him and that ship's name is on his sailor hat. Thank you so much for this hard work you have done -I'm so happy you took the time to write me! It's wonderful!! Deb Wallis
Hello to Deb Wallis,

Rather late as I've only caught hold of your private message. Yes it is true Deb - James Robert Wallis was born in the United States, that's according to his death certificate of 1984. His death was registered in Southampton which leaves another mystery adding to this biography of Catherine. I have only recently managed to make contact with a member of the family in Britain and agreed to share this new discovery. The gaurdians of James Robert were the Norton who also lived in the same road as James Robert at Chandlers Ford. The Nortons are buried in Southampton's Old Cemetery.

If you would like to contact me privaetly we can discuss the matter.

Deb Wallis

Apr 12, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hi Christine! I'm sooo happy to hear from you-we are actually related! This is amazing! our Great-grandmothers were sisters! Catherine Jane Wallis (nee Moore) left my grandma Melita, and her 3 siblings, James, Frederick and Cecilia with your great grandmother, (her sister) while she went on the Titanic to earn money, as her husband had died the year before in 1911, leaving her widowed with 4 kids to raise. Little did your Great-grandmother know that she would be raising those children! At age 14, my grandmother, Melita was apprenticed to a hairdresser, Mr. Proust, to learn hairdressing, according to the Titanic Relief Fund Booklet. They apparently had the power to initiate placements for older children who were dependents. How many children did Annie Norton have herself? I would love to be in touch with your cousin who has information! Thank you so much for writing to me-it's amazing! My cousins just got back from being onboard the HMS Balmoral commemorative voyage, and first went to 23 St. Mary's Place (or Road), Southampton, to start Catherine's voyage in the exact place she left from. That was their home address. Deb Wallis
Hello!
I am another member of the family still living in Southampton. Annie Norton was my maternal Great Grandmother.
One of my cousins, who lives locally, has quite a lot of information about our family and we would be delighted to hear from you.
With best wishes
Christine

Deb Wallis

Apr 12, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hi Christine,

Please do put me in touch with your cousin who may have family history to share. I don't mind if you give her my private email: [email protected]. I am so anxious to know about our connections, and it's so difficult to search when I don't have much to go on. I don't know if you live near Southampton, but apparently Andrew Williams, on this site, says that the Nortons lived at Chandlers Ford, and are buried in the Old Common Cemetery in Southampton. I've always wondered if Aunt Annie Norton had children of her own to raise, as well as my grandma Melita, and her brothers and sister. Thanks for your interest -hope we will be able to connect some dots!

Deb Wallis

Hi Christine! I'm sooo happy to hear from you-we are actually related! This is amazing! our Great-grandmothers were sisters! Catherine Jane Wallis (nee Moore) left my grandma Melita, and her 3 siblings, James, Frederick and Cecilia with your great grandmother, (her sister) while she went on the Titanic to earn money, as her husband had died the year before in 1911, leaving her widowed with 4 kids to raise. Little did your Great-grandmother know that she would be raising those children! At age 14, my grandmother, Melita was apprenticed to a hairdresser, Mr. Proust, to learn hairdressing, according to the Titanic Relief Fund Booklet. They apparently had the power to initiate placements for older children who were dependents. How many children did Annie Norton have herself? I would love to be in touch with your cousin who has information! Thank you so much for writing to me-it's amazing! My cousins just got back from being onboard the HMS Balmoral commemorative voyage, and first went to 23 St. Mary's Place (or Road), Southampton, to start Catherine's voyage in the exact place she left from. That was their home address. Deb Wallis

A

Andrew Williams

Grief Deb,

I didn't know you posted this lot as well. There is a possibility that Annie Norton reason for living at Chandlers Ford was an end result of the huge bombing on Southampton during the Second World War - meaning the family, like mine and many other's, were evacuees'. Christine I have a huge amount on Catherine I found from the Minute Books of the Relief Fund. Also did both of you know there's another close family connection I have who reisdes up in Norfolk? Did you two know that?

We'll speak later and have a nice weekend

Andrew W.

Deb Wallis

Apr 12, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hi Andrew,

Oh my goodness, this is like a big mystery unravelling threads at a time! No I didn't know about another close family connection in Norfolk. Until about 3 weeks ago when I got Titanic fever, I really had very little information but have learned a ton, thanks to you, Christine Short and others. I cannot access the Titanic Relief Fund information-the little bits I know came from the book "Titanic Voices"-both Catherine and my grandmother, (her daughter Melita,) are briefly mentioned in that book. I just got an email from the folks who took photos of Frederick Wallis's grave and sent them to me via a website called picasaweb. The photos show the inscription very clearly.

Anything else you can add will be greatly appreciated by me and my family. We are hoping to get together soon to hear all about my cousins' commemorative voyage on the HMS Balmoral-they said it was 'chilling' to be stopped for 3 hours over the actual site where Catherine died 100 years previously. What a terror that must have been.

thanks again Andrew, and have a nice weekend too. I look forward to getting more information very much.

Deb W.

Deb Wallis

Apr 12, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hi Deb; I have seen Andrew post on this forum n the last few days. I'm sure he'll see this post.

You said she worked on Titanic as a crew member. Could it be possible she worked on other White Star Line Ships, and gave birth while the ship was held over in the U.S. waiting for the return voyage home, then once back, took some time off or quit to pursue a career as a housewife?

just a thought...
No, it turns out that they did move to the US, where they had a 2nd child on October 19, 1904- James Robert Wallis. There is some speculation that times were tough in Southampton, and that Catherine's husband, (my great-grandfather), who was a beer brewer, had the promise of a successful career there in the brewing capacity. Perhaps it didn't work out, or they missed family, but they ended up back in Southampton and went on to have 2 more children for a total of 4.

Deb Wallis

Apr 12, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario Canada
Hello Christine Short,
I don't know how we lost connection, but I'm back on and now that I'm retired, I have more time for researching. You told me once that our great-grandmothers were sisters-in-law? Or that you are related to Annie Norton? And that your cousin has a lot of family information? I would be so pleased to connect. In my research, I discovered that Annie Norton only had one biological child who survived-and her name was May? Astonishingly, my son named his daughter 'May', without any knowledge of this.
Looking forward to sharing what we know about Catherine Jane Wallis.
Sincerely,
Deb Wallis