Name the liners with the ugliest interiors

Feb 14, 2011
Can you think of some liners with the most hideous interiors imaginable?

Here is my pick-

*The United States- A first class cabin on this liner looked like a 3rd class cabin from the 1890s.

*Kaiser Wilhelm Der Grosse- Victorian decor taken to a hideous extreme....

*Queen Elizabeth 2- Too "60s/70s"- Looks like something Mike Brady would design. (Mike Brady of the Brady Bunch)

what do you think?
I think Jim once posted the ugliest grand staircase I have ever seen- it truly looked like the stairway to Hell. Any dining rooms or cabins to match that staircase Jim?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

B

Brian R Peterson

Hi Tarn,

I'll agree with you on the United States and the QE2, however being of German decent I find the interiors of the Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse to be rather decadent and appealing.

One of the most hideous rooms aboard any ship by far is the mock Fachwerke First Class Dining Saloon aboard Mauretania - it looks like the Eiffel Tower exploded.

Best Regards,

Brian

Aug 31, 2004
United States-Yes. It looked like a horrible Vinyl accident.
QE2-Definetly. Even worse vinyl accident.
I'd say the absolute worst would be the Normandie-Have to say it. That dining saloon-ugh! It was so blank, as were many of the other French liners.

Feb 14, 2011
Matthew,thats blasphemy! ; )

Well, the art deco style doesnt quite work for everyone, and I happen to love it- Normandie, her underrated clone "L'Atlantique, as well as the Paris and Ill De France were all stunners.

But the France 1912 had serious design issues....The decor was attractive, but it was the most cluttered ship I have ever seen.....

L'Atlantique might have had a nice interior, but her exterior was less than appealing....

The Empress Of Britian (1930) was hideous...

regards

tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Empress of Britain had the nicest Dining Room of the 1930s.
92426.jpg

Behold the most hideous room ever on any liner. QM2 Winter Garden, with its artificial day-glo birds, and piped-in synthetic bird calls.

Feb 14, 2011
My god.....thats mostorous!

And the Archie Bunker chair just adds to the grotesqueness..

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Not an ugly room; here is one of the rare instances of 3rd class actually being as good as 1st class-the Rex 3rd class dining room.
92435.jpg

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
But, getting back on topic, I'd have to say that the ugliest interiors were to be found on QM1. The colors used alone-oxblood/oatmeal/saddle/bile-would make her the hands down winner, but when paired off with the frumpiest and most oppressive art deco ever to put to sea they make her the dreariest liner I've set foot upon.

Apr 11, 2001
On the floor laughing, Jim- yes you've said a mouthful there on QM1. Why that dreadful maroon and vomit color was so popular -heaven knows. The poor old Mary, often referred to as "The Dowager Duchess" reminds me of somebody's dowdy old maiden aunt at a hymn sing, complete with bosom brooch, fusty old-lady perfume, thick stockings and sensible shoes. But she was reassuringly comfy and cozy and reliable, which is not a bad trade-off. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor, those fashionable cafe society darlings, loved the old Queen. Normandie however, was too chic for most plebian tastes, and truly avant garde Best of Deco. Those Lalique columns- a triumph of sleek.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Behold the most hideous room ever on any liner. QM2 Winter Garden, with its artificial day-glo birds, and piped-in synthetic bird calls.<<

I believe it, and I have to wonder what new lows some crackhead would have to go to to beat this one. (Or am I better off not knowing?) Please tell me the good news that this has since been removed and the designer summarily shot to protect the integrity of the human gene pool. Day-glo birds after all? Yuk!
lame.gif

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Since removed?

Don't know- but will find out. I indulged my masochistic side today and booked Mike and myself a suite on QM2
happy.gif
to see if the passing of a year has brought the level of food and service up to the generally high quality of the interiors. I am honestly hoping to put an "I've been proved wrong" addendum to my last posts on the topic
happy.gif

The Windsors liking Queen Mary is just another reason for me to feel confident in my dislike. IMnotsoHO they represented everything a human being could aspire not to be rolled together into a matched set of scarecrows.....

On a lighter note, and back on topic again, I've always found the Imperator/Vatwerland/Bismarck trio to be the absolute nadir of pre-Depression era design. "Monumentally bland" may seem contradictory but they managed, somehow, to avoid introducing a single original architectural design idea throughout whle striving to impress with sheer bulk. Worse was that, internally, they looked outdated when new and had that "best hotel in a 'second city' trying too hard to be elegant" quality. The only saving grace was when the Palm Court on Leviathan had a fairly nice moderne nightclub built inside of it during the 1920s.

Feb 14, 2011
Good postes Jim
I always prefered the Queen Elizabeth (1) to the Queen Mary (1)- The Queen Elizabeth had a much cleaner look, and the Normandie influences were everywhere...
The Queen mary(1) had a very cluttered look about her...
Pity we have the Queen mary (1), and not the Queen Elizabeth(1) with us today...

tarn Stephanos

Feb 14, 2011
Jim, what is your view on the German four stackers? (Kaiser Whilhelm Der Grosse, etc...)

The victorian/gothic decor bordered on the grotesque at times...

And on the British side, the Aquitania strikes me as a Cunard attempt at the Olympic, that didnt quite work....
The split level promenades were an eyefull...

Tarn Stephanos

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
German 4 stackers?

Well.....

Actually, I like them for the reason that so many others dislike them. I'm a big fan of the "disreputable" Victorian architects (John Kellum, Alfred Mullett) and their not particularly scholarly, but vigorous, brand of Victorianism. I am also a big fan of the move towards simplicity of design (about as far removed from Mullett as one can get....) and of the emerging Modernist movement. So, I enjoy the overblown interiors of the German ships a lot as a lover of Victorian excess. But....

What I LOATHE (except in the case of the Lusitania) are period revival rooms and the overwhelming pretention of the Beaux Arts era. To me, Newport ca 1900 represents the absolute bottom of the barrel, the nadir, the worst of the worst buildings ever erected in America. I enjoy a "pure Louis XIV style room" or a "pure Jacobean Staircase" in their proper settings, but they just set my teeth on edge when placed in a 20th century residence or ship. There was SO MUCH amazing stuff happening in the worlds of design ca 1900-1914, and none of it (with the possible exception of a few rooms aboard the George Washington) was reflected on a prewar transAtlantic liner. Just as good post modernism or minimalism is bypassed on today's cruise ships in favor of Vegas style kitsch or false art deco- the "period room" thing happening again.

In that regard, Aquitania represents, to me, the culmination of a very depressing design trend.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
BTW- Would have loved it if the the Olympic class liners had sported Josef Urban interiors rather than those they did carry.

Jan 28, 2003
I've never been on any of these big ships, but it seems to me that their sheer size affects the design. With as many rooms as the QM2 has, the temptation is probably to try to be all things to all men. They try to have stuff that will appeal to Europeans, Americans, period freaks, art deco lovers, Elvis fans, minimalists etc. The result is bound to be a ghastly hodge-podge, with no coherent theme of peace and beauty - which is surely what they should be aiming for really. Or am I totally wrong, and they should be aiming for frenetic activity? Jim's 'birdie' room on the QM2 looks to me like the exhausted remnants of someone's tawdry imagination - "Oh God, not another room ....what on earth?" I do hope Jim and Mike will find it gone, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think the Lusy and the Mauretania were early attempts at market segmentation. The Maury for the Edwardian establishment, and the Lusy for younger people maybe? I would have liked the Lusitania, I think. It was light and airy.

At the time of the QM1's launch, she was considered very fashionable, from what I can tell. Those ghastly modern materials were considered wonderful. I can remember people thinking Formica was beautiful when I was a child - I can see the logic in hygienic ... but beautiful? In QM1's heyday, it was then the thing to have man-made materials. The colour schemes are best forgotten, I agree, but then some of ours recently have been fairly awful.

And, yes, anything the Windsors liked was probably best avoided.....

Anyway, when you next travel on QM2, Jim, I do hope the bread famine has been satisfactorily resolved. That really would have got me incandescent - so stupid and unnecessary ....

Aug 31, 2004
I take it back-The UGLIEST interior EVER is that first class suite on the Andrea Doria with naked gods pasted on everything but the floor. Why are there gods on the celling and the walls?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
...and inside the toilet bowl as well. Really. The Zodiac Suite was certainly inexplicable, and I imagine that travelling in it must have been headache inducing to say the very least.