Names Missing from Contract Ticket List

debbie beavis

Jun 10, 2006
My research is showing a significant number of names missing from the Contract Ticket List (NARA-NY Limitation of Liabilities list), mostly from 3rd class. Does anyone have any explanations or theories?

Dec 6, 2000
Hi Debbie,

As far as I know there are NO names missing from the Contract Ticket List except that most of the 1st Class servants are listed as and maid, or and manservant. In 3rd Class only the 8 Chinamen are unnamed. They are listed as: Chinamen; 8; Ticket No 1601; 56.9.11. In fact there is one extra person: Frederick Miles. I discuss him and the Contract Ticket List in my paper on this web-site.

Who please have you identified as missing?

Lester

debbie beavis

Jun 10, 2006
Hi Lester

I have a lot of names missing from my copy. Aside from seamen/servants etc I do not show Alexander, Allum, Bateman, Carver, Crease, Gerda Dahlberg, the two Jussila sisters, Sofia Laitenen, the Lefebre family and a good few more. I also do not have an entry showing 'Chinamen;8' nor their ticket number. This confirms what I already suspected.. the copy supplied by NARA to me is incomplete and I am missing at least one sheet. I contacted them around 6 weeks ago about this, and to inform them that they also had not sent me the Irish section. They first told me that what I have is all that there is but this site proves that they must have had it at some time. The situation now is that the sheets are missing from NARA, or at least, they have been looking for them for the last month and have so far been unable to find them. Someone else has taken over the search but so far they have not come to light. How long they have been missing is anyone's guess. I was comparing my copy with Bob Bracken last evening and he was horrified to discover that he has exactly the same missing names as I do, though he does have the Irish section which is also 'lost.' Bob is very kindly copying the Irish section for me, but if you or anyone else out there can identify which sheets I have missing, and copy them for me I would be eternally grateful as without it I cannot complete my own research. I sincerely hope that the missing sheets plus the Irish section are just misfiled. If they are really gone then it will be a terrible tragedy.

H

Hermann Söldner

Hi Debbie,

it is very easy to see from your names what is the problem. All names you have mentioned had prepaid tickets. They appear in an extra section. Carver and his mates A. Johnson, W. Johnson, Leonard, Storey and Turnquist were travelling on a ticket which was not to be paid for (#370 160). They were American Line Men and appear only on the list given to the Board of Trade before leaving Southampton.

Hermann

debbie beavis

Jun 10, 2006
Hi Hermann

Yes, it seems by the number of names I have missing as though at least one sheet is absent and probably two, so judging by the configuration of the rest of the list that would easily comprise one whole section. The unfortunate thing is however that it isn't just missing from _my_ copy, the original is actually missing at NARA at the moment. I hope they can find it, because like any other original document, it is of course irreplaceable!

Do you have a copy of the section which I have missing? Maybe we can come to some arrangement? I really need those missing names!

H

Hermann Söldner

Hi Debbie,

the section that is missing is the Prepaid section, titled "S.S. Titanic - Voyage 1, sailed - April 10th 1912 (Soton) Prepaid". It comprises of four pages, First Class, Second Class, Third Class British and Third Class Foreign.

Hermann