Names of Passengers

Dec 4, 1998
I have a question regarding some of the names of the elite members of First Class.

Does anyone know what the "M" in Miss Amelia Bessette's name stands for; what the "H" in Mr Bishop's name stands for; what the "R" in Miss Harriette Crosby's name stands for; what the "C" in Mrs John Hogeboom's name stands for; what the "R" in Mr Kenyon's name stands for; what the "H" in Mrs Ernest Lines' husband's name stands for; what the "E" in Miss Daisy Minahan (and Mrs Minahan)'s names stands for; and what the "L" in Mrs Rothschild's name stands for. Also, has anyone yet found information on Mrs Thorne? I have a 1912 article in which she and Mrs Harris are together and under the care of a Mrs Campbell who was on the Carpathia if anyone is interested.

I thank you for your attention.

D

Daniel Rosenshine

Dear Jeffrey, I know that you may have written this message a very long time ago, but I thought I'd add. I could only help you with Mrs. Rothschild's name.

Her first name was Elizabeth, she was also called "Lizzy" I guess this was short for Elizabeth. On an 1865 census her name is given as Eliza A. I presume Eliza would have been a shortened version of Elizabeth and "A" is for Anne. She had another middle name, Jane. So all in all I guess her full name would have been Elizabeth Jane Anne Barret (her maiden name).

The above is not my research, so I take no credit, but since he did not add to this I thought I'd share it.

Daniel.

F

Florence Mason Carr

An interesting aside re: the Martin Rothschilds is that they were uncle & aunt to future literary sensation Dorothy Parker, nee Rothschild, best remembered for her catty poetry, i.e., "Girls don't make passes at girls who wear glasses," etc, etc. This is referenced in at least 2 biographies of Parker. It seems Dorothy Parker knew her Aunt Lizzie well in later years, often staying w/ her in her home. No mention is made of conversations they may have had re: Titanic. The inference is that Mrs. Rothschild was a rather sad, reclusive figure after losing her husband in the disaster.

H

Haiko Blikian

Hi everyone,

since we are on the topics of passengers....i know that there were several 3rd class armenian passengers on the titanic, for example: Orsen Sirayanian, Ortin Zakarian, David Vartunian(survived, according to Walter Lord), and Maprieder Zakarian, all of them embarking titanic from cherbourg. being an armenian myself and knowing how small of a minority we are i am touched in a way to see that there were armenians on this great ship. this is kina weird though. and i wanted to know if anyone knows any kind of information regarding these passengers, it would really be an emotional fullfillment for me to know more about and understand these people.

i am asking anyone w/ the slightest information to please respond. it would really mean alot to me and in a sense the armenian community. thanks!!

H

Haiko Blikian

thanks so much philip.......i hadent read these biographies, they were very informative and im glad they werent just people who had been forgoten by everyone....

sincerely,
haiko

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Haiko:

Their was another Armenian passenger in third class who name was Neshan Krekorian who was on his way here to Canada. He was a survivior and I have met his daughter.

Another person that hasn't been forgotten.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

H

Haiko Blikian

Im glad to see uve met mr. krekorian's daughter, yes i read the biography on mr krekorian too and was amazed that his photograph was actually found and is posted on the website.....this is a great honor to me and the armenian community to see part of our history and culture as well as people being represented and aknowledged in this vast world.......

sincerely,
haiko

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Thank you Haiko!

I was very honoured to meet his daughter and her husband last year. It was a dream come true for me. She told me a lot about her father and what had happened the night of the sinking.

I was completely enthralled with it all.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller