Names of the crew of the MackayBennett

Ralph Cook

Dec 30, 2007
The Mackay-Bennett was under hire doing cable repair work for the "Compagnie Francaise des Cables Telegraphiques". So the French crew worked on board this cable ship.
Do we know about any of the french crew names who were on board? Did they go along during the body recovery mission.
Perhaps wire messages found.
What was the names of Mackay-Bennett crew?

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Alan Jeffers lists the captain as F. H. Lardner. He says the ship's 75 officers and crew were from Nova Scotia. The only other name specifically mentioned is Canon Kenneth O. Hind from All Saints Cathedral, a chaplain. Reference: "Titanic Halifax" by Alan Jeffers and Rob Gordon.

My copy of the other good Halifax book, Alan Ruffman's "Titanic Remembered..." is missing somewhere. You might also try contacting the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (see Links).

Ralph Cook

Dec 30, 2007
Actually after showing Ian McCarthy my message there is a statement made by Ian my partner in this work study I wanted to make mention of here.

"This won't help because they would not be from Captain Julien Louis LeMarteleur as Larnder was in command of the ship not Julien Louis LeMarteleur. I have the MB crew lists but of course they don't mention non-employees.
The French records do not indicate that the French crew worked on the MB - only Captain Julien Louis LeMarteleur went on to oversee the work.
Ian"
Thanks Ian
Ralph

Ralph

D

Dani Carriere

How does one find out who was on the crew manifest for the MacKay-Bennett?

My mother had told me that her grandfather, Tupper Johnson, was part of the Titanic recovery crew on the MacKay-Bennett. Now, I don't know if Tupper was his real name, or a nickname, but his last name was definitely Johnson.

Also, his son, my mother's uncle, Percival "Percy" Johnson, worked for the mortuary removing the bodies from the MacKay-Bennett.

If anyone can give me a starting point or information on these two men, it would be appreciated.

Don Carter

Jul 30, 2010
My Dads cousin was a crew member of the MacKay Bennett. This was the ship that picked up so many bodies from the Titanic. Does anyone know of a photo of the crew or any other crew listing for the MacKay Bennett? His name was Huey Carter from Greenspond Newfoundland. Thanks.