National Geographic Channel returns to the Titanic

R

Rebecca Carey

EXPLORER WHO DISCOVERED TITANIC RETURNS
WITH NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL
ON URGENT MISSION TO INVESTIGATE ENDANGERED WRECK

LIVE UNDERWATER BROADCAST FROM R.M.S. TITANIC TUESDAY 8 JUNE AT 02:00

The most famous shipwreck in modern history, the R.M.S. Titanic continues to draw audiences into the mystery of her death almost a century after her fatal collision with an iceberg. Now a destructive combination of natural forces and human intrusions is threatening to force the complete collapse of the wreck into the ocean floor. Almost two decades after discovering the sunken wreck of the Titanic, National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Dr. Robert Ballard is returning to lead a scientific expedition on an urgent quest to determine the factors hastening its ultimate deterioration.

On Tuesday 8 June, 2004 at 02:00, National Geographic Channel will provide audiences with unprecedented access to the ongoing expedition by broadcasting a one-hour special “Return to Titanic.” The broadcast will originate from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) research ship Ronald H. Brown and include a live broadcast from Titanic’s watery grave, some 12,000 feet under the Atlantic Ocean.

“I’m returning to Titanic to see what has happened to the ship in the almost 20 years that have elapsed since I first discovered her,” said Dr. Ballard. “Using high-definition cameras, we will take images of the ship and its surrounding debris field and compare them to the images we made in 1985 and 1986. This will allow our team, and the viewers at home, to contrast the ship’s past and present and see the level of change for ourselves.”

National Geographic Channel UK is making sure that the UK and Ireland aren't missing out on Dr Ballard's expedition either.

Latest changes to the National Geographic Channel (UK) schedule bring in a line-up of three Titanic documentaries back to back starting at 12.30am on Monday night. This culminates by picking up the live American broadcast of "Return to Titanic: LIVE" at 2.00am.
Worth staying up for.

National Geographic Channel can be found on:

Sky - Channel 558
NTL - 505/139
Telewest - Channel 230

For more information, links to despatches and latest pictures:
visit http://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/titanic

Here's the line-up as it stands:

Next Monday night (technically early Tuesday morning, June 8th)
12.30am Titanic's Treasures
1.00am Titanic's Ghosts
2.00am Return to Titanic: LIVE
http://www.ngceurope.com/returntotitanic

Enjoy the viewing.

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
Theres an advert is the UK newspapers today - "Attacked by Nature. Attacked by Man.

Dr.Robert Ballard, the man who found the Titanic 20 years ago, goes back to find out why the world's most famous wreck may soon be lost forever.

See it while you still can."

Paul
--
http://www.paullee.com

Jul 11, 2001
ARG! (slaps forehead)
angry.gif
My Cable network doesn't carry the National Geographic Channel. In Connecticut we get "select" Nat.Geo. shows thru our MSNBC channel. It looks like Nat.Geo. isn't sharing the feature with them. Hmm, sounds like marketing to me. Isn't that one of Ballards gripes? Too much "Media Marketing" of the Titanic?
eh.gif

DavidinHartford

Mar 3, 1998
No matter what your feelings about the current expedition, I highly recommend that you watch the telecast this evening.

I have received reports of some exciting new finds from those on site. I don't want to steal their thunder by prematurely describing them, and I can't even guarantee that the new finds will be shown during tonight's live telecast. However, if these finds are shown, they will amaze even the most cynical Titanic enthusiasts.

I'm not interested in the politics or hype surrounding parts of this expedition. I am, however, very interested in the information that NOAA is gathering. So far, I have received only verbal descriptions from the expedition, so I will be tuning in to the telecast tonight in the hope that I will get to see images to go with some of the descriptions.

Parks

Jul 11, 2001
Woo! Hoo! I found someone to record it for me!

Hi Parks! I agree. I am anxious to see the Special. Even if I have to hit the "Mute" button every once and a while.
grin.gif

David Smith
aka:DavidinHartford

Omar Khokhar

Aug 27, 2008
parks, if they do not mention these exiting finds during the broadcast, can you please tell us about them tomorrow

Vicki Logan

May 15, 2003
Found out that my service did not have National Geographic. Changed that very quickly today. I'm all set to watch tonight. I've looked at some of the stills on another site and am waiting anxiously to see the program. Parks, if they don't tell all I hope you will share the new discoveries. Can't wait to see
Vicki

Mar 3, 1998
If something I know of is not included in the telecast, then I will seek permission to talk about it. I can only relay what I am authorised to; otherwise, I would be violating a trust. Hopefully, everything will be shown during the telecast and you will soon know what I know.

Parks

Hilda Jaschke

Apr 22, 2003
I haven't watched myself,but I did tape it!

I am very excited that Mr.Ballard was able to go back to Titanic!
But at the same time I am not sure how to feel about salvaging rights and all.
I do understand how Mr.Ballard feels and he is right BUT I also think that seeing these wonderful artifacts is so amazing. I tell you I could have stayed a whole day at the artifact expidition in Dallas.I just wanted to savor everything I saw.
So it is a hard topic to feel "right" about.

I did find all of his interviews very interesting.Mr.Ballard is obviously very upset with others that have gone down and salvaged,Grave robbed,and landed submersibles on the decks of the ship,which could have led to the caving in of the decks.
He really must be kicking himself for not officially claiming rights to the ship(I know I would!)
From some of the pictures on the national geographic website you can see the "new" damage that has been done.

I also wonder what Mr. Ballard thinks about James Camerons "Ghost of the Abyss"?

FYI:Mr.Ballard came into my sisters shoe store in Foulmouth,Ma some time back to buy some new boots for one of his expeditions heading out from Woodshole on the Cape there in MA,she said he was a very nice man.Se told him how she really enjoyed seeing his first expedition to Titanic.
She got an Autograph.
He asked her where she was from because it was not around there.She told him Texas....he laughed..and asked what are you doin all the way up here? She says,my boyfriend! LOL!

Anyways,can't wait to watch today!

A

Alicia Coors

I don't know if this has been substantiated, but I believe Ballard couldn't obtain salvage rights to the ship, because he was under contract to the U.S. Navy (and using their equipment) when he located her.

This would make the title of his forthcoming book decrying salvage The Sour Grapes of Wrath.

M

Megan brule

I saw it last night, Its hard to believe that in 20 years the Titanic will be no more.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I don't know if this has been substantiated, but I believe Ballard couldn't obtain salvage rights to the ship, because he was under contract to the U.S. Navy (and using their equipment) when he located her.<<

As I understand it, that was exactly the situation.

>>I saw it last night, Its hard to believe that in 20 years the Titanic will be no more.<<

I'd agree that it's hard to believe because I've seen no evidence that this is true. The superstructure may well cave in but the hull was made of much thicker plates and should hold up for a much longer time.

Just in case anyone is interested, National Geographic will be re-broadcasting the show on the 16th of June at 9pm EST.

Jul 11, 2001
OK, I finally saw the tape of the show. I was disappointed. In my opinion, they waste too much time on launching the ROV and talking about the weather. For a show about documenting the ships deterioration, Ballard didn't say much at all. It was all focused on the Bell and Mast light. Waxing nostalgic over the ships "eyes" and lamenting over the missing plaque was too much. And how is it he just happened to have a duplicate plaque?

C

Chris Nicholson

I was also kinda dissapointed by this show. I think they did spend too much time on the plaque. He blames RMS Titanic Inc. for this missing but I really think it was underwater currents that blew it off the back of the ship and it was probably down on the ocean floor right there. I mean, why would they take the plaque. Not only is that very morally wrong, it has no real scientific or sentimental value. Saying that the compani ttok it I would consider slander. I mean he kept dissing them for removing the stuff from the bottom of the ocean but without any reason as to why besides the fact that it is "graverobbing". I mean I don't want to get into this dabate but i personally think that salvaging items is saving them from the inevitable destruction and I don't think salvaging a few things hear and there for public display "ruins the expirience of being there" as he puts it and I don't really get why he is so much against it. However I really don't mean to diss him. He seems like a nice and very smart man. I actually met him once at the Mystic Aquarium. Even though he was attending a party there he happily agreed to sign some of my Titanic books I had on me and also was happy to take his picture with me. This picture is now framed and hanging right next to my computer. Il post it if anyone wants me to.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I was also kinda dissapointed by this show.<<

Welcome to the club.

>>I mean, why would they take the plaque.<<

I can't think of any reason at all. It has no intrinsic value and RMSTI is a For-Profit operation. I guess that's what Dr. Ballard takes exception to, though it's been suggested that there's a lot of sour grapes on his part. Shucks, the people who say that may even be right. Since I can't read Dr. Ballard's mind, I don't really know.

Apr 22, 2012
Thanks for posting that, Parks. I know I will definitely be watching. From that description, it sounds like this follow-up special will make up for what many viewers felt the first one lacked. I also noticed that Ballard doesn't appear to have abandoned his ideas for an underwater museum yet, although I did think he was aiming that exclusively at the Britannic wreck.

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
The new December issue of National Geogrpahic calls the new show "Titanic Untold" premiering Thursday December 16th at 9p.m. EST.

J

Jeannine Kleinschmidt

I recorded this on my DVR this morning and watched it over breakfast. Quite the interesting documentary, not boring at all. To see Dr. Ballard return to the famous wreck of the Titanic he discovered after 20 years was very moving. I respect his opinion about leaving the site untouched, but I am in agreement with Ken Marshal. To actually see and be near these artifacts up close really makes me feel like I've "touched" history. What I am not in agreement with, is those individuals who steal from the wreck for personal collections--not to be confused with private collectors of things obtained at the surface when the ship actually sank. I also do not believe in going into the wreck itself, other than to explore. To remove things from inside the wreck, at least while it is still 'intact,' as it were, to me would be akin to grave-robbing, descrating. I know its not a religious shrine or anything--but it is a burial site which should be preserved and treated with respect.

Cheers!
Jeannine