NDL's BREMEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel Ehlers

From my aunt and uncle, I received a poster of NDL's BREMEN. Anyway, I found out that Norddeutscher Lloyd had a lot of BREMENs, so I'm having trouble identifying this one...

The poster is not dated, but in red calligraphy, at the top, it says "Norddeutscher Lloyd" and beneath it, in black, it says "Bremen." At the bottom, the writing says "New-York/Baltimore sud-Amerika."

The ship itself, in the center of the poster, has four masts. The forward mast has rolled up sails on it. The ship has 2 gold funnels.

Can anyone tell me what Bremen this is? Thanks!

Nov 23, 1996
Daniel:

Without seeing the poster for myself this is going to be a hard one to identify.

As for the various Bremen's that would have had sails this would be the first two of them.

However, the third Bremen by the time she was called Bremen would not have had sails.

Bremen I (1858)

Built: Caird & Co. Greencock, Scotland
2,551 Tons 321' x 39' Single Screw
THREE MASTS ONE FUNNEL
The pioneer steamship of North German Lloyd making her Maiden Voyage on June 19, 1858.

Bremen II (1986)

Built: F. Schichau, Danaig, Germany
11,570 Tons 550' x 60' Twin Screw service speed 15 1/2 knots
TWO MASTS / TWO FUNNELS
Other names: Constantinople
Fate: Scrapped 1926

Bremen III (1900)

Built: Valcan Shipping Co., Stettin, Germany
10,826 Tons 523' x 60' Twin screw service speed 15 1/2 knots.
TWO MASTS / TWO FUNNELS
Prior Names: Pocahontas / Prinzess Irene
Other Name: Karlsruhe

Bremen IV (1929)

Built: Weser Shipbuilding Yard, Bremen, Gremany
51,656 Tons 898' x 101' Quadruple screw service speed 28 1/2 knots
TWO MASTS / TWO FUNNELS
Launched June 26, 1928
Maiden Voyage from Bremen on July 16, 1929 on which she took the Blue Riband.
Fate: Gutted by Fire in Bremerhaven in 1941 and scrapped.

So based on the fact that the ship you have mentioned has four masts and two funnels I would state that it isn't the Bremen, but rather another North German Lloyd Liner sailing from Bremen to New York/Baltimore Sud-amerika.

D

Daniel Ehlers

Thank you very much... I would've scanned in the poster, but it's framed, and it's rather large; much larger than my scanner. Also, the poster isn't dated (except for HISTORISCHE SCHIFFSPLAKATE 1998 on the bottom.) Anyway, thanks for the help. I looked it up on GreatShips, and it looks similar (but not exactly) to the "Main." I'll continue my search...

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
While working on a Google search I came across a new book on the escape of the Breman from New York at the beginning of WWII.

Shadow Voyage : The Extraordinary Wartime Escape of the Legendary SS Bremen

Has anyone read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.