Need an answer from a Normandie expert

N

Nicolas Roughol

Hi all,

I would like to find an answer to a very specific question regarding Normandie. My family owns a painting by French artist Leo Fontan, dated 1926. It shows an old man sitting on a bench, smoking his pipe, somewhere in the Bois de Boulogne in Paris. The man posing for the painting is one of my ancestors (my great-grand-father), hence the reason why we have it, since my ancestor and Leo Fontan were friends. Now, the story goes within the family that this painting was a rough sketch of one of his latter work which was fitted onboard Normandie. Although I know a bit about Normandie, I'm in no way an expert, and couldn't find any confirmation about it, nor any mention of artist Leo Fontan among those who decorated the interiors of that beautiful ship...

So has anyone of you ever heard of that name in connection with the Normandie, or has any reference material in which he could look that up to somehow back it up?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I am away from my collection and can't check for you right away, but a good place to look would be in the special Normandie issues of l'Illustration, (May and June 1935) which give exhaustive detail on her fittings, including art work. Just as an FYI, much of the artwork from the Normandie was removed before the fire, so you might be able to match it to a surviving piece.

N

Nicolas Roughol

Jim, if you don't mind and have the opportunity to do so, I would love if you could check that out for me. I recently found this about him, when doing some research with Google: He is also renown for having decorated the lounges and apartments of several ocean going liners.
It's the only thing I could find about him related to ocean liners decoration. And I don't have myself those issues of L'Illustration, though I know my father has some lost in a carton box up in in the attic, from one of our many movings througout his active life.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I will begin looking this evening- but since my French is limited it may take some time to read throught them.