Need help identifying an autograph/signature

May 15, 2008
I've had one book for many years that I got from my mother. Unfortunately she passed away before I realised that someone had signed the book and now I have no way to find out who signed it. I've been unable to interpret what letters are in the name so it's been impossible to google any name to find out if the signature/autograph is in any way related to Titanic or simply signed by someone who owned the book or gave it away as a gift. I'm uploading a photo of the page with the signature. This has been annoying me for years. Please help to put an end to my missery!

/ Best regards Nathalie

IMG_7036.JPG

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I haven't a clue on the signature. Just be grateful that you have a copy of one of the best Titanic books. The newest edition, updated by me, is even better.

May 15, 2008
I haven't a clue on the signature. Just be grateful that you have a copy of one of the best Titanic books. The newest edition, updated by me, is even better.

Thanks anyway. I'll check it out! My copy is in Swedish but I prefer reading books in the language it was written. I'll see if my local library has a copy of it in English.

May 15, 2008
View attachment 3161
View attachment 3162

is it 05/07/1983 or 07/05/1983? If's it is 1983, maybe it's from a survivor? check here: Titanic Passengers and Crew living in sweden | Encyclopedia Titanica

I think it's supposed to say August the 5th 83, but the problem is that my copy was released in 88. So maybe it says something entirely different. Since the signature is so difficult to make out then maybe it doesn't say 83? I'm really not sure.

I checked out the list of Swedish passengers and crew and no one matched. So I'm wondering if it's someone that's related to Titanic in some other way perhaps? Or someone that changed their surname?

If it was someone signing the book to be given as a gift it still looks weird in my eyes. Because it appears too sloppy or signature like to me.