Need help in identifying something in this photo

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
There is something in the water between the Titanic and the pier - it looks to me like a large piece of wood, almost a raft - can anyone tell me what it is and why this is in the water?

(Edited out photo for copyright issues)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Lee, that thing is what we called a "camel" on my side of the pond. I have no idea what my fellow sailors called it in the U.K. It acts as a buffer...a bumper if you will...between the ship and the pier she's moored to.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Just to be pedantic, that's the picture of Olympic that Ken retouched to look like Titanic for the GOTA book, I do believe?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You may be right. Lee, is this the case? If so, did you have permission of the copyright holder to post this? I don't want to be a stick in the mud, but don't care for a visit from a lawyer with a summons either.

John Flood

Mar 1, 2004
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is that a colour photograph? I don't think I have seen a genuine colour photograph of the Titanic before.

All the best,
John.

Lee Gilliland

Feb 14, 2003
This is a photo I recieved from a friend via e-mail - I have no idea about the provenance. As far as I know, it's a black-and-white photo with a bad dye job.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I think that Ken Photoshopped it to make Olympic look like Titanic, but I don't think he regarded the pic as 'finished' one way or another; but it was published in the GOTA book anyway. I'm sure Ken can clarify, anyway.

Jeremy Lee

Jun 12, 2003
Wonder why Ken photoshopped the picture to emulate "Titanic on her sailing day" using the Olympic when it was really the Titanic!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>This is a photo I recieved from a friend via e-mail - I have no idea about the provenance.<<

That's what I was afraid of. I checked and the photo was indeed in GoTA so I regret I had to edit it out. Just a general caution to all, so we don't get sued, e-mails are notorious for passing around copyrighted images so please be careful about that. The photos Steve posted...which he and Bruce Beveridge do have the copyright to...has a photo of that object that Lee was asking about, very likely the same one too.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Bill,
Amazon has only just listed the book.
All of the books that had been originally printed has sold.
When Bruce was at the BTS meeting in April he had 40 or 50 copies which he took with him.
They all sold in less than 2 hours. People were still seeking Bruce out to purchase a copy throughout the day.
I need to confirm with Amazon about the availability (?) of the book.

I believe that the THS still has some stock.

http://secured.titanichistoricalsociety.org/shop/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jprorol8

S

Scott R. Andrews

Hi Mike,

Re: The TRMA site:
The web server has been having difficulties that have caused problems with restoring the forums. Sean told us he's trying to restore everything, but he's still having difficulties retrieving the archives. Personally, I would have told these folks to stash their server in a dark place after the last fiasco - I wouldn't have given them a second chance to burn me, but then I'm not the webmaster. Hopefully Sean will get the situation rectified soon.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

S

Scott R. Andrews

"...The TRMA message forum kept going down every few months last year!..."

Yes, and that was on yet another server! Apparently, it's at all not difficult to find another incompetent host; the real trick seems to be finding someone who is both reliable and understands the meaning of customer service.

Scott Andrews