Need some help Please

E

Eric K. Rosen

Hello everybody,

I need some guidance - when I was a child I was told that a relative of mine was trying to get from his home in Poland to America, and that he boarded the Titanic and never been heard from again. The entire rest of his family were later on murdered in the holocaust, so I had no one to ask for more information.
I looked everywhere for something that looks like Blumenkranz, his last name, but found nothing.
He should have been a man on his own.
So, what now??
What are the chances that the lists are not correct about his name?
What are the chances that he didn't even get on that ship?
Could he have gotten a ticket from one of those that had changed their minds in the last moment?
Could he have replaced one of those crew members that deserted?
Which of the lists are not final (the passengers?)?
Where and how can I find more information?

I would really appreciate anything that would give me some direction.

Thanks in advance,
E.R.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Eric,
I checked all my resources and found not one passenger from Poland bound to America via Titanic. It's not the first time family members have erroneously claimed a relative on Titanic. My family also claims a relative from Ireland was on Titanic, and now won't speak to me any more because I proved them wrong. A possibility is that he could have traveled under an assumed name and didn't indicate his origin, but only his destination. There were no passengers named Blumenkranz or any variation thereof.

Phillip Gowan

Apr 10, 2001
Hi Eric,
Although the name and circumstances aren't really as you describe, there was an individual on board who was born in Warsaw, lived briefly in France and England and then headed for the United States. His original name was Berk Trembiskey, later changed to Benoit Picard. He survived the Titanic and worked in the hotel industry in later years, never married, and his obituary names no survivors. He left a small estate after his debts were paid but no one claimed it and it eventually went to the government. Someone did put up a marker at his grave but he is buried alone. That's the only one I can come up with offhand that is even vaguely similar.

Regards,
Phillip

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Jakob Birnbaum was born in Krakow (which was then considered Austria), Poland. But his family had moved to Belgium many years before the Titanic disaster, and it was there that he was returning from. He was a bachelor travelling alone, enroute back to his office in San Francisco. He did have a younger sister who later died at Auschwitz along with her husband in 1943. Most of his other brothers and sisters lived until well after WWII, however, many of them in the United States.

Dec 7, 2000
Eric,

Any chance of narrowing Blumenkranz down for us a bit. Perhaps a first name or an initial?

The only person I came up with is:

NAME: Blumenkranz, Abraham
ETHNICITY: Austria, Hebrew
PLACE OF RESIDENCE: Drohobysz, Galicia
DATE OF ARRIVAL: 11 Nov 1913
AGE ON ARRIVAL: 16y
MARITAL STATUS: S
SHIP OF TRAVEL: Prinz Fr. Wilhelm
PORT OF DEPARTURE: Bremen, Germany

Does this sound familiar at all?

E

Eric K. Rosen

Wow, thanks everybody!!!
I did not expect so much response so soon. Hope I didn't cause you any frustration...

I did a lot of searching and asking, and here's all I could dig:
His name was Aaron (or any variation of that). He should be from Warsaw - at least that's where his family were when WWII broke, and it doesn't seem they've moved. He left a wife named Cyril/Tzirel/Zirl/? and at least one child that was born around that time (1912). His objective was, as I know, to seek a better future for his family in America. We were told that he went aboard the Titanic and was never heard from again. His family were left alone and have later probably found their deaths in the holocaust - A single survivor from the family returned to Warsaw after WWII, but found none of his relatives (neither did any later searches).

I didn't find too much resemblance in what you've suggested. Sorry again if I made you work in vain.

It would really mean a lot to me if any of you guys could give me just a lead.
Thank you all again,
Eric

Dec 7, 2000
I know this goes back to 1902, but there was an Avram Blumenkranz from Warchaw (perhaps Warsaw) who arrived in the US on the Cymric, on 10 Feb. 1902, he was 46 years old at the time. He did arrive alone (i.e. no wife and children). -- any similarities here?

E

Eric K. Rosen

Daniel & everybody,

The thing that just doesn't connect about your last suggestion is that I have an old paper that mentions that their son was born on 1912. It's not a birth certificate or anything, but still 10 years is too large an error regarding a young person, plus your guy was already 46 years old at 1902. And then the name is different... :-( I still very much appreciate your efforts, though.

What frustrates me is the fact that besides this old paper and the couple of stories that I was told, I cannot find any piece of information about my entire lost family. After searching genealogical sites and general search engines, I ended up here, but again nothing.

I was thinking now - Aaron Willer? ( https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/bio/p/3rd/willer_a.shtml ) - Doesn't sound so Russian to me (and I believe they did speak some Russian in some of Poland). Does anyone know anything about him? About a Willer family in Russia missing one Aaron?

Thanks in advance for any piece of information,
Eric

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
A brand new source of records of American immigrants is http://www.EllisIslandRecords.org

It covers the early part of the 20th century and has several million records.

An odd detail is that the Titanic third class passengers' names were added to the Ellis Island records on June 18th 1912.

Dec 7, 2000
That's the date they were catalogued under, which explains why it was originally so hard to find these records and an employee looked through 48 rolls of film before he found the Carpathia/Titanic manifest, put under June 18, instead of April 18!

W

wendi parker

does anyone know why it took them so long to catologue them?
as i sit here and think... it might be because of the high immigrant travel then and they didnt have the time.
it might also be because of the whole inquiry that went on and as a result they were forced to wait!
now i am curious!!!!thanks a lot Dave!
happy.gif

wendi
;)

Tracy Smith

Apr 20, 2012
South Carolina USA
Thanks for the Ellis island address, Dave. I found quite a few records pertaining to Stanley Lord. He visited New York several times after the First World War and into the 1920s on the ship he commanded at the time, the Anglo Chilean. I found much useful info on him there.

E

Eric K. Rosen

Thanks for the Ellis Island address, Dave. I checked it thoroughly including a link I've found there - Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything helpful to me.

Regarding Aaron Willer that I was wondering about - forget it. I've managed to find some information about him right here on Titanica ( https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/documents/26-04-12_cdt.shtml ). Turns out he's not really from Russia like the other link suggested. Maybe someone should look into correcting/updating that information...

I'm really clueless now...

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Hello all,

I've been checking out the link to Ellis island that David so kindly provided and I've come up with some very interesting personal family history.

Bernard Hillen, a cousin of my great grandfather, travelled on the Carpathia to New York, arriving on September 11 1911. Somehow, this far away relative of mine boarded the Carpathia in Trieste and then headed for the States, where he apparantly made a considerable fortune. Can anyone confirm whether Rostron et al were in command and where she stopped off before heading across the Atlantic.

The real black sheep of our family was my great-grandfather, Thomas Brannigan, who is recorded as arriving in New York on January 18 1908 on the Baltic. He was 27 years old, reared in the house in Castlewellan directly facing Bernards, and it only came to light a few years ago that the reason he left Ireland was that he burned down the family home in a drunken rage, killing his baby daughter and almost killing his three year old son (my grandfather). He legged it pretty sharpish and was never heard of again until my uncle delved into the archives and discovered that he died at 42, due to alcohol related illness and is buried in New York. It seems the American dream could be realised on one side of a street, while on the other side it turned into a nightmare.

The other interesting thing I found was that all my ancestors who travelled to America used White Star. At first I was extremely pleased at their taste and obvious sense of style (!), even if they did travel third class, but then I realised how very poor they really were. I have been asking myself ever since why they chose White Star. Was it because they were advertised in the local press as the "Irish Ships" and therefore a sense of loyalty and pride persisted (unlikely due to the fact they were rural catholics who must have held some resentment to the shipyard), or was it because White Star were cheaper than the other lines?
Any definitive information on the respective fares of shipping lines from the turn of the century, or opinions about this little "topiquette" would be most welcome.

Regards

Sam