Nella Goldenberg

Geir Hornes

Geir Hornes

For those interested in the Goldenbergs...
Shortly before the honourable Phil Gowan passed away, he was generous to share the contact details with the descendant he had found within the Goldenberg family. My interest in Nella and Samuel Goldenberg lied in the fact that they had owned a villa in Villefranche-sur-Mer (France) named "Nellcote" between 1916-1919. Today that villa is a "bucket-list experience" and site for musical pilgrimage because The Rolling Stones recorded tracks for an album in its basement many years later. Phils help led me to an early jackpot in terms of research and I have not forgotten it.

In November 2021 I released a 400-page book that charted Villa Nellcote’s transformation from neoclassical upstart in 1899 to a global phenomenon today. It is called "The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote". Chapter 3 (about 20 pages) deals with the Goldenbergs in detail (although Phil got his Goldenberg research right!). For some of you it might be interesting to know the said book displays Nella´s Titanic journal/inscription in full color (among her other non-related Titanic photos). Thank you Phil, and thank you Bill Wormstedt for your help back in the day.

Reactions: Thomas Krom