Nellie Walcroft

Jan 21, 2006
Hello everybody
My great great Aunt 'Clara Stacey' was meant to travel with Nellie Walcroft and Clear Cameron on that fateful journey. Because of personal circumstances Clara never went. On her arrival at Ruddington Farm Nellie sent Clara a letter. Although we have discovered a lot about Nellie there are still some questions left unanswered.

We have had a lot of things get in the way of our detective work over the last few years, family tragedies moving etc so we have had to put our research onto the back burner. With our new pooter we discovered ET and decided to start up again. We were saddened to hear that Ted Dowding had passed away, we have exchanged lots of lovely letters over the years with Ted and Dinah. If it wasn't for there 'Wee Bookie' 'CLEAR TO AMERICA by TITANIC - & beyond' we wouldn't have discovered half of what we know. Could anybody pass my details onto Dinah please?

The main question we have is 'Where is Nellie'?

We know that she came back to blighty for the war effort in 1917 and returned to the US on Oct 8th 1919 aboard the SS Adriatic. Then on the 1st of Nov 1920 she received her B.E.M. in New York, and that really is the last hard evidence we have, after this the trail get colder.
We are of the opinion that she never married in 1913 as her ticket details on the SS Adriatic in 1919 state she is single.

Nellie's brother-in-law Carl Land a US citizen returned to the US from London on April 20th 1911 aboard the SS Minnewaska, a week later on April 28th Lucy Walcroft arrived aboard the SS Amerika. They were soon to be married. Did they meet in the UK? Why was Carl in London?

Lucy Land nee Walcroft visited her parents in the UK twice, both times with a new Grandchild to show off. On the 18th Jan 1914 she returned to NY on the SS George Washington with her son John aged 11 months. Then on the 24th July 1915 aboard the SS St. Louis with John aged 2yrs 6mths and little Daphne aged 4mths.
On her first return trip in 1914 Lucy also brought her and Nellie's sister Eva with her aged 22 to start a new life. What happened to Eva?

Nellie wrote in her letter to GG Aunt Clara:

" After the ship had gone down we had to change our boat, to let our officer go back to the rescue. When we got into the boat there were 4 dead men and a madman I think. They pushed him overboard, I never saw him again."

Nellie then wrote to the Maidenhead advertiser and said:

"The boat I got in was No. 10. There had been six picked up but one man was mad. He shook the boat and we were afraid it would capsize."

We have searched and searched and not found any other reference to this 'madman' can anybody help
please?

These are just a few of the questions that we have yet to answer, can anybody help please.
Thanks for reading
best regards
Hannah Carthew

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Thank you for posting that, Brian. I hadn't been in touch with Dinah since sending her a Christmas card a while back and meant to phone to see how she was. I'm deeply saddened to hear that she has passed away.

She was such a lovely, spirited woman, and so talented in her many diverse interests, and it's a shock to think that she's gone. But I can only echo what Hannah said - also my first thought following the initial sadness and surprise - that she and her darling Ted must be together again. If ever a couple adored each other, those two did.

Hannah, I'll drop a line in response to your email as soon as I have a moment. Good to see you posting here with the information on Clare Stacey. It potentially adds another interesting element to Nellie and Clear's story.

Kalman Tanito

Jul 9, 2002
Hannah, I think Phil Gowan of South Carolina has
tracked Nellie Walcroft but I don't know if he is
ready to make his findings public. I know he spent a couple of years tracking down descendants of all her many brothers and sisters and got a lot of information from them as he showed some of it when he was in Hungary in 2003. He and Brian Meister were the ones that finally tracked down Clear Cameron several years ago. Good luck!

Jan 21, 2006
RE: MY TOP POST did they meet in the UK. Why was Carl in London)

Lucy travelled back with her employers entourage the McVickars and othe staff. Perhaps Carl was working for the McVickars in London when he and Lucy met? And perhaps Carl was sent back to America a week early to get the house in order and warm (it was April) for the McVickars return.
proud.gif

Is Ruddington Farm still there
question.gif

Come on detectives, what about this madman
happy.gif

Hannah

Aug 14, 2005
I just recently came across Hannah Carthew's message from Jan. 31, 2006. She had questions about Nellie Walcroft's sisters and their families. I can answer some of the questions but I don't know if this information is of interest to others viewing this message board. I'll answer a few of the questions and if others are interested in more information let me know and I'll add it.

Carl Land was Nellie's brother-in-law and my grandfather. He was born in Sweden in Varnamo. He left Goteborg, Sweden on 3/23/1898 at age 18 for New York. I think he met my grandmother, Lucy Walcroft, in the US while working for a family but I'm not sure which one. They were married on Oct. 28, 1911 in CT but I don't know where exactly. For their first two children my grandmother returned to her parents' home for the birth of the babies. Their third child was born in the Bronx.

Nellie had two brothers, Arthur and Walter, from her father, John,'s marriage to Rebecca Broughton. I don't know what happened to Rebecca but in 9/1885 John Walcroft married Louisa Hicks. They had 4 girls, Lucy, Eva, Kathryn and Margaret. Since you specifically asked about Eva I'll tell you she was married to a man named, John Griffin.

I have more information which I can email privately to Hannah unless others are interested. Let me know.

Pam

Aug 14, 2005
I need to make a correction to my post of 5/26/06. Nellie's 2 brothers from her father's marriage to Rebecca Broughton were Fred and Walter, not Arthur and Walter. Sorry for the misinformation.

Pam

Aug 14, 2005
I have a little more information to add on Nellie Walcroft. In the process of cleaning out my father's house we found a few letters which Nellie wrote to my parents and grandparents in the 1940's. She was married to a man named William Lipscombe or Lipscomb. He died in Nov. or Dec. 1945 at the age of 73. His birthday was Nov. 17. At the time of his death she was living at 292 18th St., Brooklyn,NY. In April 1946 she moved to 264 18th St. She wasn't happy about moving but she said "It is not as nice as this place but I have no choice and I am lucky to get it it's an English landlady and she seems very nice."
Pam

Mike Poirier

Dec 31, 2004
Thats excellent detective work Pam. Perhaps his obit in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle says where he is buried and that is most likely where she is buried.

Mike

Aug 14, 2005
I don't know if anyone is still interested in this information but since I posted 10 years ago I know more about Nellie Walcroft's family. My grandparents Carl Henning Land and Lucy Walcroft Land (Nellie's half sister). Carl and Lucy met while they were both working for the McVickar family in London. They were married in 1911. Nellie's parents, John Walcroft and Rebecca Broughton Walcroft actually had 4 boys and Nellie. The birth order was: Fred, Nellie, Walter, Arthur and John. Rebecca Walcroft died shortly after childbirth in 1885 and then the baby, John, died about a month later. After my great grandfather remarried he and his wife, Louisa Hicks Walcroft, had Margaret Rebecca, Lucy Mary, Clara Annie, Eva Jessie, Kitty/Kate and Nancy. As a child growing up I knew about Nellie, Walter, Margaret, Lucy, Eva and Kitty. Thanks to information that Phil Gowan sent me I learned about Clara. Clara's name is very similar to Clear Annie Cameron's name so I wonder if Nellie and Clear were friends in 1890 when Nellie was 15 years old and Clara was born. I now know that Nellie's sister, Eva, died in 1922 at age 30 and is buried in Oak Lawn Cemetery in Fairfield, CT. I still don't know where Nellie and her husband, William Lispcombe, are buried but I'm assuming Brooklyn, NY. I am attaching a picture from 1892 of the "Walcroft girls". My grandmother, Lucy, is seated in the middle in the front. Her older sister, Margaret, is seated on the right of the picture. The two girls in back would be Clara and Eva but I'm not sure who the two women in back are. I would think that one of them is Louisa Hick Walcroft and maybe the other one is Nellie but I don't know. The other one might be Louisa's mother, Thirza Pantin Hicks, instead of Nellie. I wish I knew.
Pam

1892 - Walcroft girls.jpg

Reactions: 1 users