Netflix Electric Edwardians 1900

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran across this on Netflix and thought you guys might appreciate it. Mostly 1901-1904. Quality is great. You can spend hours poring over freeze-frames looking at fashions, ads (Bovril!) and people. There's also a little movie aboard some Cunard ship of the era.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1933920009/?tag=encyclopediatita

This collection of rare black-and-white footage captures all classes of Edwardian-era folk in the midst of their everyday lives. Shot by film pioneers Sagar Mitchell and James Kenyon in the early 20th century, the footage was produced for exhibition at fairgrounds throughout England. Bonus material includes an interview with Dr. Vanessa Toulmin of the National Fairground Archive, as well as Mitchell and Kenyon's short film "Driving Lucy."

Hey, Jim: Thanks for posting the excellent link! I was not aware of this and, as you said, one can spend hours looking it over!

Glad to see you're following my advice of a few weeks back, Jim (K), and checking out these wonderful films to see what thousands of ordinary Edwardians really looked like. Now, do you still maintain that obesity was the norm? :)

Inspired by this thread, I rented the film from Netflix several weeks ago, and perhaps because of my mood, I was quite entertained. I watched it WITH commentary.

There is one film clip of a Cunard liner in Liverpool, but I was unable to discern which liner it was. I'd love to know!

Status
Not open for further replies.