New Book by David GleicherRescue of Third Class Passengers

Jan 10, 2006
Readers of my research articles may be interested to know that Maritime History Publications (an academic press) has just published a book of mine--entitled The Rescue of the Third Class Passengers on the Titanic.

The book addresses in a scholarly fashion the broad question of why the Third Class died in the accident in such disproportionate numbers. I offer "revisionist" views of such perennial issues as, how organized and efficient the rescue effort was; what roles were played by the various senior officers; what the timing and order was in the loading and launching of lifeboats; to what extent were Third Class passengers prevented from reaching the lifeboats by the authorities; and to what extent were there violent confrontations between officers and Third Class men.

This is a soft-cover book, roughly 300 pages including tables, illustrations and bibliography. The price is US$25 + US$5 (shipping and handling). It can be ordered by phone: 709-737-2602, or by e-mail: [email protected]. There are limited copies available.

DG

Tad G. Fitch

Dec 31, 2005
Congratulations David. Although some of our conclusions differ, I am interested in seeing your book, as the third class passengers are an area of high interest for me as well. Best of luck with the sales.

Kind regards,
Tad