New Diana Preston Book

Omar Khokhar

Aug 27, 2008
Users of this forum are probably aware of her current book "Lusitania: An epic tragedy".

I have just found out that she is currently working on a new Lusitania book which will be out in May 2003, titled:

"Remember the Lusitania"

I have no further details and I don`t know what the front cover looks like!

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Omar

I wouldnt bother buying Preston's new book if i was you, its probably just a repeat of "Lusitania: An epic tragedy", w/ a few minor changes, ballard did the same thing w/ his book Lost Liners, he made an almost exact copy of it and renamed it Ghost Liners, i discovered this after looking at looking at the Ghost Liners for a couple mins in the library.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Omar and Jesse,

Information on this book can be found in Amazon.com. It is a hard cover 100 page volume with much visual material, pitched toward a reading audience of primary/intermediate school. 9-12 years of age and focuses on the experiences of some of the children who survived the sinking . I dare say much like shelly Tanaka's book "On Board the Titanic" I own a copy of Tanaka's book which has much material of Ken Marschall's in it.

I will get a copy of Remember the Lusitania and review it here if someone doen't beat me to it.

cheers

Martin

Feb 21, 2003
ballard did the same thing w/ his book Lost Liners, he made an almost exact copy of it and renamed it Ghost Liners, i discovered this after looking at looking at the Ghost Liners for a couple mins in the library.

But there was one difference. Lost liners was a more mature book. Ghost Liners was written for the 'Scholastic Library' set. I have both books, one is a more advanced then the other one. he did the same thing with his Discovery of the Titanic book too.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Susan You are qiute right about Lost Liners and Ghost Liners. I preferred Ghost Liners as it stuck closer to the subject brief rather than trying to put two different books in one.

Lost Liners should have stuck to the ships already included and beefed out with the stories of WILHELM GUSTLOFF LEOPOLDVILLE LANCASTRIA QUEEN ELIZABETH WARATAH. More paintings from Ken about these ships would complete the volume.

I currently have Preston's REMEMBER THE LUSITANIA on order and should recieve it on the 14th or soon after.

Martin

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
Martin

Thanks for informing me of the differences between the two books, i still dont plan on reading ghost liners or remember the lusitania. next book on the Lusitania list is either:

A. Peeke & Walsh, The lusitania Story
OR
B. Ramsay, Lusitania: Myth & Fact

Mindy Deckard

Aug 29, 2005
Remember the Lusitania is a children's book.

It is a good read though. My students are very interested in it....almost as much as the Titanic.

Aidan Bowe

Aug 11, 2004
Has anyone read both these books? Is "An Epic Tragedy" just a re-hash of "Wilful Murder"? Any comments welcome. Just re read Wilful Murder so don't want to waste time/money if not necessary.Many thanks

May 27, 2007
I read "An Epic Tragedy" Watch out of misidentified Passengers. Such as Ladies being referred to by their married names when they weren't married yet is but one example. Some of our Lusitania Experts Like Geoff Whitfield could tell you what to look out for or Jim Kalafus and Mike Poirier both of whom have written an article about the Lusitania. This thread should shed some light and give you some opinions of your fellow posters.

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/10245/23055.html?1064461009

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
I just picked up "An Epic Tragedy" from my library the other day. It's OK so far. Nothing to get excited about. I'm still on pt.1, in the "Gott Strafe England" section.

May 27, 2007
Dianna Preston has a new book out about Mark Antony and Cleopatra of all things! I saw it at Barnes & Nobles and thought about getting it! MS. Preston writes well and she is highly readable! I'm going to get it at my library instead! It seems it's popular because there are 3 other holds on it! Of course it is new but I wanted to inform anyone in case they were curious as to what Ms. Preston was up to!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/mar/14/cleopatra-antony-diana-preston-audiobook