New Dive Suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Okay, here's a fun one for you. A new one man dive suit has been invented that is totally self-supporting, and can go down to the Titanic's depth. (I know I know, it's as likely as pink elephants, but just go with me on this one, okay?!)

You've won a trip to the wreck, one dive only. The suit is small enough to enable you to go inside the bow-in other words, you can more or less 'walk' around inside the bow. Where do you choose to go in, what is your destination, and what do you imagine you'll see? Over to you!

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
For me and a few of my techie chums, this one is easy. I go in through one of the cargo hatches or the door to the crews quarters in the foc'sle, then work my way down to the boiler rooms by way of the firemans stairway and tunnel.

My trusty camera is rigged to the equipment so I'm documenting any damage seen, especially parts where the hull is open to the sea (i.e. berg damage!) after I'm done there, I go through the cargo holds to see what I can find there, then work my way through the hull to see if any of the WT doors are closed all the way or askew for no good reason..

Any other ideas? Erik, David, Mark??? I'm obviously in a suicidal...ah...friskey mood if I go for a stunt like this, so might as well get the most out of it.
wink.gif

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Adam Leet

May 18, 2001
Well, that depends a little bit on what the suit is like (size, weight, etc.) It would have to be small enough so that one could fit in through the wreckage and get to those really confined spaces.

As for myself, I would likely want to take it down the GSC, or perhaps down one of the cargo holds and explore the forward compartments, or what is left of them, at least. Needless to say, I would be careful, since a collapse is more likely now than in the past, and is worsening by the day. I would at least go with the intention of treading lightly through the wreck. Now that I think of it, going into the boiler rooms would be somewhat tempting, as we could finally get a glimpse into those spaces.

Adam

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
Sorry to alter the scenario Mike, but let's say that the suit is small enough to fit through doors, windows, etc. (i.e., where ever a normal human could fit). Also, let's say that the floors, stairs, ladders, etc, are sturdy enough to hold the weight.

I would enter at the forward end of the Promenade and Check out the A Deck staterooms, then making my way aft to the R/W Room (or at least the forward wing). Then I would go to the GSC and examine the the lower staterooms. On C Deck, I'd go in the Pursur's Office and get a COMPLETE cabin allocation list (perhaps it would be called 'The Hudson List'
happy.gif
)When I got to F Deck, I'd see the Turkish Bath, Pool, and what's left of the Squash Court.

Like Michael, my camera would be on at all times.

David

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
I think the Turkish bath/pool would be my own destination, to-how much tile do we think is still waiting for our lights to make it gleam in there?!

May 9, 2000
I would try to find this old car and drive it through the cargo room. As cute as I am I would carry some gasoline with me...

Status
Not open for further replies.