New Empress of Ireland Book

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
I hope that I am not repeating something which has already been posted, but today I was given a copy of an excellent relatively new Empress of Ireland book: Empress of Ireland- the Story of An Edwardian Liner (Derek Grout). It serves as the perfect compliment to David Zeni's Forgotten Empress, as it devotes most of its space to the career of the ship rather than the disaster and so there is little duplication between the two works. The text manages to pack in more facts than is usual in the newer books, and does so in a way which isn't boring. The illustrations are (mostly) original, again with little duplication of those in Forgotten Empress, and best of all, the appendices are filled with unusual details (such as the names of-possibly-all of the passengers who died aboard the Empress on previous trips, and the passenger loads for every voyage she made) which keep one reading well beyond the final chapter. Altogether, one of the best ship books of the last ten years.

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
I'll second that. I picked up my copy a couple of weeks ago and am very impressed by both Mr. Grout's research and his writing style.

The only fault I can find with it is the soft cover format.

--SDR

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
Soft cover format used to bother me, but after a decade of books featuring intentionally miscaptioned photos; internal monologues by people who died presented as "fact;" MISTAKES plagiarised from other works; improperly interpreted statistics, and the word "Conspiracy" in the title
sad.gif
my standards have slackened a bit.
happy.gif

Scott Reigel

Jul 26, 2002
Good point! I could find a few that would be equally at home on the shelf, or in the bird cage.

I'm not finding a thread on recommended non-Titanic books. Perhaps there should be.

The last few I books I have picked up are:
"The American Line" Wm. Flayhart III (impressive and enjoyable, if somewhat esoteric)
"A Thread Across the Ocean", John Steele Gordon (Very Atlantic Cable oriented, and not very ship oriented, OK though.) and
"The History of the White Star Line" Robin Gardiner. (Reads like a series of newspaper clippings, but at least he doesn't use the word "conspiracy".) Enough said.

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
A few recommended books:
CARPET OF SILVER: The Wreck of the Zuytdorp (Phillip Playford) Great account of the wreck and of how the supposedly unsalvageable treasure was lotted during thet 1980s.

BATAVIA'S GRAVEYARD (Mike Dash) Despite the shrill 'not for the squeamish' reviews this is actually a very intelligent book about an incident in which the occupants of a wrecked ship formed a Lord Of the Flies type of society and massacred all of the undesirables only to meet with a variety of awful fates.

THE SINKING OF THE PRINCESS SOPHIA: Taking The North Down With Her (Ken Coates & Bill Morrison) Your standard "passenger ship with 356 aboard gets stranded on a reef and sinks with no survivors" story made interesting by great research and writing.

THE VALENCIA TRAGEDY (Michael C. Neitzel) Your standard "passenger ship with about 150 aboard gets stranded on a reef and is slowly beaten to pieces as rescuers watch and make no effort to save the passengers" story made interesting by great writing and research and tons of pictures.

RAISING THE HUNLEY (Brian Hicks and Schuyler Kropf)

GREAT SHIPWRECKS OF THE PACIFIC COAST (Robert C. Belyk) Long accounts of the Brother Jonathan (struck reef while overlaoded in a storm and sank with few survivors and an alleged treasure aboard) Pacific (old liner which rammed a sailing ship- not the other way around- and almost immediately foundered with the loss of between 275 and 500 lives) Clallam (sprung leak and slowly foundered- all women and children lost when lifeboats wre swamped, most men who remained with the ship survived) Columbia (old ship rammed and sank quickly with large loss of life) and San Juan (1929- extremely old ship rammed and sank in what is estimated to be little more than a minute and a half with huge loss of life- two survivors still alive at this writing) and others. A great 'easy read.'

COME AND KNOCK ON OUR DOOR (Chris Mann) Everything you ever wanted to know- and likely more- about America's favorite maddeningly repetitive sitcom. Compelling reading, and I was surprised since I hated the show to begin with.

FIRESTORM AT PESHTIGO (Denise Gess and William Lutz)

NEW LONDON SCHOOL: In Memoriam. (Lori Olson) Answers the question 'is it ever a good idea to use raw unscented natural gas to heat a school with 500-1000 people in it?' with a resounding 'no.' This 1937 disaster, largely unremembered outside of Texas claimed around 300 students teachers and visitors, and the book is highly recommended. (check out website www.nlse.org)

G

Gavin Murphy

Just for clarity sake.......

this book is about 2 years old......

Jan 5, 2001
I was given a complimentary copy of this work by Tempus and it is very impressive. The date I have is summer 2002.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jan 5, 2001
It could have been the second edition. The book is quite thick, and it's softback. There are other great ship books from this publisher, from the Queen Elizabeth to Mauretania, Berengaria and more due out.

Best regards,

Mark.

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
first time i heard of a new empress of ireland book, i have a couple books in my collection about her, Logan's "empress of ireland and other shipwrecks" from 1914, and Croall's "fourteen minutes" 78, both of which i would highly recomend to anyone.

T

tary l nixon

Has anyone heard of the oceanliner artist, W. Kitzis from early 1900's. I have an old oil painting of the Empress of Ireland I got in a shipment of old english furniture. I can't find anything about the artist.

May 3, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
About seven months ago I saw a miniseries called The Lost Prince. It was about the tragiclly short life of King George VI's epileptic brother.

At one point the princes are sitting on the floor of a palace public looking at acopy of ILN spread out on the floor. One asks the "Why are all these big ships sinking?"

In front of them are artist's renditions of the Empress of Ireland sinking in the fog. Have these been subsequently published anywhere and are available? If not the publication rights would be a coup for any aspiring author on the Ship.

cheers

Martin

C

Chris Klausen

I've read 4 books on the "Empress of Ireland". "Forgotten Empress", "Empress of Ireland Story of an Edwardian Liner", "Fourteen Minutes", and "Dark Descent ". Does anyone know of any other books about the ship? Thanks!

G

Gavin Murphy

C,

Off the top my head I can think of two others:

1. Until We Meet Again, or something like that, (my first ocean liner book review for THS back in 1982...yikes!) and 2. Logan Marshall's 1914 book (Sinking of the Empress of Ireland and other Sea Disasters?) again, or something like that.

The latter includes chapters verbatim that were included in his 1912 Titanic tome.

This was also an Empress video put out in Canada about 3 years ago which premiered at the THS convention in Mtl. in 2000 and was later released through the National Film Board. It was called ????

I hope this helps.

G