New Eurodam class

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I was checking out the new Eurodam which is scheduled to be delivered in July of 2008. They are talking her up as "the first ship in a new class," but It looks exactly like its Vista class sisters and it pretty much the same dimensions, yet is almost 10k larger. I read on Cruise Critic that an extra deck was added and that the ship will have several added specialty restaurants. Can anyone confirm this? Just how different is this new class?
Isn't the Queen Vic basically a Vista Class with an extra deck to make her bigger?
Some of QV's extra size probably comes from her Grill restaurants area which reminds me of the Viking Crown lounges on the Royal Caribbean vessels. Almost like an afterthought.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=405

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006

Russell Smith

Jun 18, 2009
I really like the Tamarind Restaurant in Slide Show #8. Very spacious yet also cozy! The Explorer's Lounge in Slide Show #2 looks like a nice place to relax and listen to the String Quartet, but the seats in the Pinnacle Bar look like some kind of torture instrument!
happy.gif
I'm 6'3 195 lbs (190.5cm , 88.63Kg) and I'm afraid I'd break them!

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
I know! That chair looks like it will fall over.
The Pinnacle Bar is one of the few rooms that I don't like on that ship. I call it the "Duran Duran" bar because it is right out of the early 80's. It should have a Nagel print on the wall. Grace Jones would feel right at home.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
I wonder if they'll use one of their older names. I realize that they already have an Amsterdam, but she's one of their oldest ships, so maybe another Nieuw Amsterdam?

Joe Russo

Apr 10, 2006
That would be a nice name since this class is more opulent than the Vistas.
Wasn't the original N.A. their pinnacle in the golden age?

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
Joe

Yup. If you go to Gare Maretime, I beleive they have a very good article on the original Nieuw Amsterdam.

But given how then named it the Eurodam, this one might be the Worldam, or something equally corny

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
HAL announced yesterday that the new Eurodam class ship will be named the Nieuw Amsterdam. It will be the fourth ship to carry that name.

Looks like I guessed it correctly, although it was a pretty easy guess.

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
I wish someone at HAL would have thought about switching the names. It would have made for a great marketing coup to introduce the new signature class Nieuw Amsterdam just a month or so from the 70 anniversary of the maiden voyage of the former flagship Nieuw and one of the lines best known HAL liners, then. Save the Eurodam name for the sister