1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Exhibition Jack Phillips and the Titanic

Discussion in 'Crew Research' started by Mandy Le Boutillier, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Hi Everyone, just a quick heads up - A brand new exhibition is opening tomorrow - 6th March thru to May 12th 2012 at Godalming Museum in Surrey, UK, entitled 'Jack Phillips and the Titanic'. The exhibition has received Heritage Lottery Funding and so its FREE to go in.

The exhibition is the centre piece of a series of events in Jack Phillips' home town commemorating the centenary of the sinking, which also include a civic memorial service on 15th April at the Phillips Memorial Cloister, which is currently being completely renovated.

I'll admit I'm biased because I've been helping the guys at the museum putting the exhibition, which features correspondence from Jack to his family,together over the last six months, but I think you'll find it really interesting. Godalming is a lovely friendly town and well worth a visit. Hope to see you there!

2. Argh. If only I lived in England.

3. Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller Moderator

Thanks for the info, Mandy. Congratulations on being given the opportunity to assist in putting it together, it sounds wonderful! Too bad it's so far away from my neck of the woods.

Welcome back!

4. Thanks Jason - I changed my e-mail so haven't posted for a while, but I've never really gone away!

Sorry the exhibition is a bit off the beaten track for you guys. However, the museum has published a little booklet to accompany it called 'Jack Phillips - A Farncombe Lad' which I wrote for them. It has some nice colour pictures, including one of the recently rediscovered Godalming Post Office Memorial to Jack.

If you are interested, you may be able to get a copy by contacting them via the museum's website. They are only charging two or three pounds for it and it is all in aid of the museum which is a small local concern, largely staffed by volunteers. End of commercial!

5. J Burdette

J Burdette Member

Ugh! I envy those going. Where I'm located there is absolutely nothing going on Titanic related, that I know of. I have a special interest in Phillips (and Moody and Murdoch).

6. Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller Moderator

You're welcome, Mandy.

Thanks for the information on the booklet. I'm definitely going to order one!