New Exhibition Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I was just browsing at the RMSTI website and found an article about a Damask Pouch recovered in 2000 that belonged to Second Class Passenger Marion Ogden Meanwell, who did not survive. This pouch will be on display for the first time in the Salt Lake City, Utah, exhibit.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've been studying the passengers of Titanic for - well, since I was eight years old, and I've never heard of Marion Ogden Meanwell in relation to the Titanic. Checked my lists, and no such name. I have to wonder what's going on at RMSTI. Anyone with connections to the organization want to explain it to me? I'm open to learning something new.

Kyrila

Apr 27, 2003
Kyrila,
Mrs. Meanwell was a passenger and this is what I have for her:
Meanwell, Mrs. Marian nee Ogden. Missing. Milliner. Aged 63 years.
(From the Whitehaven News, of Thursday, May 2nd, 1912).
MILLOM'S CONNECTION WITH THE TITANIC DISASTER
THE widespread effects of the Titanic disaster is evidenced by the fact that Mrs. Beck of Cambridge Street, Millom, (Cumberland) had a relative aboard the ill-fated vessel.
Mrs. Meanwell, first cousin of Mrs. Beck, who was proceeding on the Titanic to join her daughter in America. She had often crossed the Atlantic previously, and according to a letter dispatched to Mrs. Beck from Queenstown, was delighted with the new gigantic vessel.
In her views, nothing approaching the accommodation had been experienced in any of the previous journeys, and nothing but a very pleasant voyage was anticipated.
There appears to be little hope that Mrs. Meanwell had escaped the fate which befell so many of the Titanic passengers, as her name does not appear, so far, amongst those who have been saved.
(From The Emergency and Relief booklet by the American Red Cross, 1913).
Case number 302. (English). A mother, sixty-three years of age, was drowned, while coming to this country to make her home with her daughter, whose husband had recently died, leaving two children aged six and two years. These children were to have been cared for by their grandmother while their mother was at work. She was a ballet dancer in a circus. She has now left the circus and is employed where she can have her children with her. Accident insurance amounting to $500 was paid to the daughter, and she received $350 from other American relief funds. This money has been placed in the bank for the care of the children. The local Charity Organisation Society will continue its oversight of the welfare of the children.
'Marion' Meanwell's name has become better known recently following the recovery and exhibition of her alligator-skin handbag and contents from the wreck site. It's an interesting reflection of the social climate of the time that the lady who described herself as a widow called Marion or Marian was actually separated from her husband by distance rather than death and her name was Mary Anne. Mary Anne Ogden was born in Lancashire in 1848 and was briefly married to Thomas Meanwell, a draper's assistant from Coningsby in Lincolnshire, a man slightly younger than herself. After the separation one of the couple's two children, Walter, was brought up by his father's family and lost contact with Mary, but their daughter Margaret remained with her mother. A third child, Margaret's twin Annie, had died at an early age. Margaret would later emigrate to the USA where she found employment as a dancer with a circus troupe. Widowed while still in her 30s and left with two young children, Margaret was given the prospect of returning to work when Mary/Marion offered to move to New York and look after the children. Perhaps she was motivated by sad memories of the break-up of her own family. Tragically, these plans came to nothing when she died on the Titanic. Her body was never recovered.
Mary's ex, Thomas Meanwell, settled in Louth in Lincolnshire where he too claimed to be widowed and found employment (and lodging) with draper George Ranshaw. He is said to have later remarried, hopefully not before obtaining a divorce from his 'dead' wife Mary/Marion who was still very much alive at the time.

Best regards

Brian

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
Well, if I had looked farther than second class on the list hanging on the wall, I would have found her name listed with third class passengers. Guess I was tired from the weekend's activities - or the print was too small - or I really do need new bifocals! Thanks, Brian. Very interesting information.

Kyrila

Status
Not open for further replies.