New Jersey Titanic Related Spots

Mar 15, 2001
Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knew of any Titanic related spots in New Jersey? I am currently in this state and always welcome suggestions of places to visit while traveling. I am in Neward right now and plan on driving through the state tomorrow.

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Most of the New Jersey locations are cemeteries, Darren. Do a search for "New Jersey" and you'll come up with a whole bunch of folks buried in New Jersey---five in one cemetery here in Jersey City alone.

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Darren,

Be sure to visit the Stengel mausoleum at the Fairmount Cemetery in Newark, and Elizabeth Burn's grave at the adjoining Holy Sepulchre Cemetery - both located on Central Avenue in Newark. Mrs. Compton is buried in Newark as well, and John Starr March is interred in Hillside - a neighboring township.

The Stengel's Newark 1912 home is gone, but Mrs. Stengel's home in Upper Montclair still stands. Henry Blank lived in Glen Ridge, and his magnificent home at 138 Ridgewood Avenue is a residence to behold.

Edwina Troutt MacKenzie stayed with her cousin on Bellevue Avenue in Upper Montclair after she arrived on the Carpathia. If you visit Montclair, stop by the Erie-Lackawanna Railway Station. This particular station was designed and built by William Hull Botsford, who died on the Titanic.

As Mark mentioned, there are many Titanic connections to New Jersey, and most are located in the Newark area.

Happy travels.....

Regards,

Mike Findlay

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Mrs. Compton is buried in Newark as well

Where in Newark, Mike? I've visited most of the grave sites in NJ, but not hers, and I'm not sure I even have her on my list.

most are located in the Newark area.

I like to think of it as the Jersey City area, but will admit to a certain bias in that regard.

;-)

Apr 16, 2001
Hi Mark,

Mrs. Compton is buried at the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Newark - just a short distance from the main gate. A memorial stone for her son Alexander is also marked at the site, and a mention that he was lost on the Titanic.

Interestingly, the officials at Mount Pleasant gave us the details that led us to track Sara Compton in Florida. Sara lived a majority of her life at Long Brach, New Jersey, following the Titanic disaster. The home still stands. In her advancing years, she moved to Miami where she lived out the rest of her days. She kept in regular communication with Mount Pleasant Cemetery, and paid for spring plantings and flowers. When she died in 1952, her ashes were interred at Mount Pleasant, although she is the only member of the family on the Compton lot not marked by a individual stone.

It is true that many Titanic survivors are buried in Jersey City, but Newark has the most connections in terms of residences and burials together. I was including East Orange, Glen Ridge, Montclair and other Essex County cities and towns where many Titanic passengers lived in my totals for the Newark area.

Holy Name Cemetery in Jersey City is one of the few cemeteries where such a large number of Titanic survivors are buried. Unfortunately, a few of them are unmarked. I remember that Tom McCormack's name doesn't appear on the McCormack stone, as well as that of Elizabeth Dowdell Fierer. Margaret O'Neill's grave is pratically in front of one of the main gates -- hers was the first I visited back in 1983 when I started my cemetery research trips.

Have you seen the homes in Jersey City where Mrs. O'Neill and Mrs. Lynch lived?

Regards,

Mike Findlay

May 12, 2005
The house in Hoboken, New Jersey where Dorothy Gibson was born is no longer standing but the church where her mother and stepfather were married and where she was baptized is still there. Pauline and Dorothy were very active socially in this church (it was then the First Baptist Church) until the Gibson family moved to New York City in about 1906. It now serves a Seventh Day Adventist congregation. It is located at 901 Bloomfield. Street. Here is a link with a picture of the building’s façade (from the side). There is also a picture in my book, showing it from the front:

http://www.njchurchscape.com/Hoboken-First%20Baptist.html

May 12, 2005
Also, at Fort Lee, New Jersey, in the former film colony where Dorothy Gibson made most of her movies, the Brulatour Building still stands on Jane Street. This was built in 1916 by Dorothy’s lover and future husband Jules Brulatour as an onsite processing center for the products of Eastman Kodak, of which Brulatour was chief rep and later president. There’s soon to be a dedication of a plaque at the Brulatour Building that will reference Dorothy and her career.

Here’s a link to the Fort Lee Film Commission, a great organization that’s doing so much for film preservation while keeping alive the history of America’s first "movie town."

http://www.fortleefilm.org/

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Mrs. Compton is buried at the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Newark

I'll have to dig out my list and see if I had that on it. Thanks, Mike.

Unfortunately, a few of them are unmarked.

There's at least a stone with the name "Dowdell" on it, but Robert Hopkins' grave is completely unmarked.

Have you seen the homes in Jersey City where Mrs. O'Neill and Mrs. Lynch lived?

I grew up in the neighborhood---one of them lived for some time on the same block of Union Street that I lived on and Lexington Avenue is two blocks away---and passed by those houses frequently when I was a kid, but never associated them with Titanic. Visiting residences in the Hudson County area is on one of my "Things to do when I get a free day" list.

It is located at 901 Bloomfield Street.

Another Hudson County location. Thanks, Randy.

Mar 15, 2001
What interesting information. Unfortunately, I didn't get to visit any of these places. Thank you Michael, Mark and Randy for responding. Not Titanic related but interesting to me was visiting Lakehurst where the Hindenburg went down. Since the site is on a naval base, I couldn't get in to see the spot but did visit a small museum in Lakehurst. It was very interesting.