New Movie

May 6, 2003
When is there going to be another major movie made about Titanic? I think in the next 20 years. What about you?

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Stefan,

I'm not sure when the next movie will be out, if at all. It all depends if a movie director is interested in building another story around the disaster.

Having said that, I'm not even sure if you can top James Cameron's movie. With all the sets, costumes and everything else, it truly brought the Titanic to life.

If another director can do it though, I'm all for it.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

K

Kristen Maitland

If they make another Titanic movie I'd rather it be a sequel to James Cameron's film and center around the court hearings. That would be great to see.

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Oh to see a new version of ANTR with modern FX technology and also for the first time depicting the New York near-collision in Southampton. Alas, thanks to Cameron, it will never come to pass. Not even in the next 50 years IMO.

D

Drew Adamick

I agree with Eric, well with the New York collision in Southampton. No Titanic movie made has shown it. If they do another Titanic movie, I think it should be like a docu-movie or a remake of ANTR with modern VFX. It could happen. There is only one problem: $$$$$$$. It would cost a lot. More than Cameron's flick.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
It's most likely that any further productions will be docu-dramas concerned with aspects of the disaster that haven't been covered before, like the Inquiry hearings or the Halifax-based operation to recover and bury the dead. Bearing in mind the lack of box office potential and the prospect of relatively low costs (without having to feature the Titanic itself), any such productions would most likely be 'made for TV'.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
New movie! There is going to be a major new dramatised documentary made for TV by Britain's ITV.

It will probably be called Building the Titanic and it will cover events up to the point where she sinks.

It will use live actors and computer-generated images to recreate the shipyard. Work is just starting and is expected to take about 15 months.

I hope they get some real experts on the job and that they make a good job of the most interesting characters, especially Pirrie and Carlisle.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Currently showing on BBC2 in the UK is the series Seven Wonders of the Industrial World, comprising seven 50-minute drama-docs which give exactly that treatment to the building of, for instance, Brunel's Great Eastern, the Brooklyn Bridge and the Transcontinental railroad. If the Titanic feature is of the same standard we will not be disappointed.

Noel F. Jones

May 14, 2002
"If they make another Titanic movie I'd rather it be a sequel to James Cameron's film and center around the court hearings. That would be great to see."

That would be merely to perpetuate errors and would be most diminishing to see.

Noel

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I think it more likely that the dramatic potential of a production based on either Inquiry, be it a Hollywood star vehicle or low budget drama-doc, would lie in examination of the personalities, motivations and methods of those involved. The most likely approach would be to expose the errors rather than perpetuate them, and in the case of the British Inquiry to concentrate attention on the whitewash brush rather than the picture it painted.

J

Jake Angus

The Duff-Gordon's situation would be ripe for dramatization, including the stewardesses' wearing of black the day the DG's testified, in protest of the toffs' treating it like it was a fashionable West End matinee (wh. it was in actuality).

Harold Bride would be another... the possibilities are legion.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm afraid I'm with Noel on this. Anything that was made which would be appealing to an audience is not likely to be faithful to history. Anything faithful to history would likely make for incredibly dull viewing.

Sep 22, 2003
Coatesville, PA
I think ill have to agree w/ michael on his last message, the only titanic movie to come close to being the accurate on the actual history was A Night to Remember, and even that movie is has amount of mistakes. mainly the beginning w/ the ship being christened, and the ship staying intact, though we cant blame the movie makers for that as it was thought that ship sank intact until ballard discovered it.

Tim Brandsoy

Feb 19, 2002
Trials are usually pretty boring unless Perry Mason has a card up his sleeve ;-) There have been some good trial movies such as "Judgement at Nurenburg" "Advise and Consent" more recently John Grisham has had a few successes based on his novels.

I think a movie like a remake of "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" would be a success, perhaps not as a musical. Or maybe one based on another character or characters who didn't survive, ala Sunset Boulevard, where in the opening scene William Holden has drowned in the pool, then the story is told in flashback. Documentaries on the big screen aren't big money makers. Historical movies such as "Out of Africa" and "The English Patient" need to be character/star driven.

J

Jake Angus

Oh, didn't I mention that Perry Mason is going to be the BOT counselor and Johnnie Cochran is going to stand for the plaintiffs. Sorry, I forgot...
mad.gif

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
I agree that any film of a trial probably would send an audience to sleep (in the absence of an OJ on the stand), but films about trials, like Judgement at Nuremberg and Inherit the Wind are another matter, based on themes of justice and injustice and not composed of comprehensive reconstruction of endless witness box statements.

In the case of the British Inquiry (not, of course, a trial but conducted in similar fashion) the potential for drama lies in the hidden agendas and in the impact of public scrutiny on the lives of key players like Lightoller, Ismay and the Duff Gordons. Not much, even so, to appeal to the kind of audience that wept for Jack Dawson, and probably just as well (big Arnie as Lord Mersea would never work for me!) Staple fare, however, for the UK television industry which excels in docu-dramas of this kind and I won't be at all surprised if a production along these lines is screened in 2012.

J

Jake Angus

We could get OJ to play Ismay, Courtney Love to play Molly Brown.... the possibilites excite me!
crazy.gif

Jul 11, 2001
We could get OJ to play Ismay, Courtney Love to play Molly Brown.... the possibilites excite me!

Jake, Why not Madonna and Britney Spears to play the parts of Leo and Kate? Not MY tastes, but would certainly get some tongues wagging.

David