New role for Harland & Wolff shipyard

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I wish them every success in this venture. If Harland And Wolff can make this work, it would go a long way towards solving the problems of disposing of old worn out vessels that are hanging over the heads of the so-called First World Nations.

Grant Carman

Jun 19, 2006
H&W still builds ships I think. If I remember another poster on this site, H&W was one of the 2 finalist to build the QM2, but couldn't get the financing in place, hence the reason why the French yard got the contract.
Let's hope that they not only get to dismantle, but also build for any other ship that Cunard decides to build, (if they do any after the QV)

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
H & W is out of the shipbuilding business. The last ship was number 1742, Anvil Point, 2003.

Lately H & W has been involved in offshore wind farms, as it has the big cranes needed. Other than that, it does consultancy and design work.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
That's good to hear. With so many famous and historic shipyards throughout the UK which have passed away, it's nice to see that one of them has managed to find a new lease on life. I don't suppose there's any chance that they'll ever get back into building ships, is there?

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
A short article about a satisfied customer.

Stena Explorer returns on the Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire route
quote:

The HSS Stena Explorer fast ferry service made a welcome return on the Holyhead to Dun Laoghaire route last month. By Shelley Marsden - 26/03/07

Following a refitat the Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast the craft has returned havingreceived a €1.75 million (£1.17 million) refurbishment including a new seating area at the rear of the craft.
Story at http://www.theirishworld.com/article.asp?SubSection_Id=2&Article_Id=2362

Sam Brannigan

Feb 24, 2007
Good to see the yard still hanging in there.

I don't know why the Irish Sea ferry operators have such a fixation on the HSS class, though.

It's a notoriously choppy sea, and every single time I've booked on to a HSS (especially between Northern Ireland and Scotland), it has been cancelled and I've had to use a slower ro-ro instead. This has happened on at least a dozen occasions.

It seems that the HSS really only come in to its own in the summer months when the traffic is high, and the shorter turnaround benefits the ferry companies.

It would have been great if H&W had put some wings and Rolls Royce engines on it! ;-)

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The BBC:

Titanic yard has sights on design
quote:

It has shrunk in size from its heyday, but Harland and Wolff is still competing at an international level in terms of design.
The yard that built the Titanic is now to design elements of an advanced heavy lift vessel after an agreement with Netherlands shipbuilder, Merwede.
For the rest, go to http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7022029.stm

Comment: Business appears to be looking up for them. Let's hope it continues!

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From Planet Ark:

Titanic's Shipyard Builds Record Tidal Generator
quote:

DUBLIN - Harland & Wolff, the Belfast shipyard that built the Titanic has diversified into renewable energy generation, assembling what Northern Irish authorities say is the world's biggest tidal electricity generation system.

The 1.2 megawatt SeaGen will also be the first to be connected to a local electricity grid and will generate electricity for 1,000 homes by using tides in Strangford Lough, east of Belfast, Energy Minister Nigel Dodds said.
More at http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/47680/story.htm

Sep 28, 2002
Northern Ireland
Michael,

This project has been talked about for quite som time. The problem has been enviromental, because of the high amount of wild life in Strangford Lough. The current is extremely strong in this Lough. At the top of the Lough the differance between high and low tide is about two miles and all of this water has to flow in and out between a narrowing opening. The turbine is only about a couple of miles from my house, so I expect to have "green" electricity in the near future.

BTW Strangford lough is where Thomas Andrews got his interest in boats started.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Ship repairs and recertification, wind turbines and the Design group have been designing ships and modules.<<

Don't forget recycling/scrapping old ships. They've already had a piece of the action with the Napoli, and others are sure to follow. Wish I could say the same for every shipyard in the UK.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From BYM:

UK. Harland and Wolff and Harris Pye Group reach cooperation agreement
quote:

An important step forward has been taken by two major players in the marine, oil and gas industries which will provide enhanced competitive and flexible solutions to the offshore industry. Building upon the proven strengths of both companies, Harland and Wolff Heavy Industries and the Harris Pye Group have signed a co-operation agreement to form an integrated project team offering design, engineering, supply, installation and commissioning services.
More at http://www.bymnews.com/news/newsDetails.php?id=27156

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
From The Belfast Telegraph:

Shipyard secures new wind turbines deal
quote:

Harland & Wolff has continued its push into the renewable energy sector by securing a new contract to build 30 wind turbines.

It is understood that an order had been received for 30 turbines, each of which could produce five megawatts of electricity.
More at: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/business-news/shipyard-secures-new-wind-turbines-deal-14487162.html#ixzz0QrfXALT3

Comment: What's important here is that they're getting some work!

Sep 28, 2002
Northern Ireland
The dry dock in Belfast is the big advantage here. These turbines can be loaded on board the ships by lowering the water level in the dry dock, thus these extra high turbines can be loaded on board.

So Samsom and Goliath have been an advantage for the green era.