New Ships

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brian O'Dell

Why are ships so modern now? By modern, I mean the plastic type walls and exposed ventilation ducts and siren horns, etc. Its quite ugly. I prefer the luxurious interiors with real wood paneled walls and the beautiful fittings. Now on ocean liners, they seem to be gone. The closest are probably the Oceana Cruise Line ships.

I understand that today ships are much more technologically advanced and safety is now a factor and now you can't just walk onto the bridge like a passenger could decades ago. Apart from fire safety and hazards, etc, do you think there is a different reason for this?

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Apart from fire safety and hazards, etc, do you think there is a different reason for this?<<

Styles and tastes have changed. Some of those features which appeal to us don't appeal to the market that the cruise lines are trying to attract. There's more of course, but in the end, it's all about the bottom line.

B

Brian O'Dell

I understand. I just don't understand though, why they don't care anymore about appearance that much with the ventilation ducts showing, etc without any covering or anything of the sort to hide it or at least make it more presentable.

I do like the look of some modern liners such as the QM2 but when I see the speakers and emergency signs not looking at least half presentable, I find it cheaply and carelessly looking. I know that we need them for safety, or we wouldn't know what to do or where to go, but on the classic ocean liners of the past, they would have had gold plated lifeboat, emergency and direction signs and boxed out speakers, etc where as know it looks as if they just don't care.

I suppose most people would think me coming across as snobby and picky, but I notice these things and it distracts my attention from the rest of the surroundings, even if they are luxurious such as on the QM2.

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I just don't understand though, why they don't care anymore about appearance that much with the ventilation ducts showing, etc without any covering or anything of the sort to hide it or at least make it more presentable.<<

I think it has something to do with the fickle whims of fashion. So-called anyway. I notice this same thing in a lot of buildings with supposedly upscale businesses such as gourmet coffee places, restaurants, and stores. Cruise ships and liners are hardly immune to this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.