New Titanic Survivor Discovered

Mar 15, 2001
I was amazed to read last week that a new survivor has been discovered on an uncharted island in the Atlantic Ocean. Hopefully, this could possibly mean that more are out there.

Mar 15, 2001
Hi David,
Yes this was printed in the well-renowned Sun weekly news. I always appreciate the laugh after a hectic day at work. It's the only time I ever purchase a rag such as that.

Dec 4, 2000
Darren--

I suppose those Titanic survivors were on hand to welcome Nungesser and Coli when they had to ditch their plane, White Bird. Lot of history on that uncharted island if we could only find it!!!!!

-- David G. Brown

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Could this, also, be where the MINNOW's five passengers, and its two-man crew ended up, after encountering that tropical storm?

BTW, we're supposed to believe that they left from Honolulu, instead.
smile.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
The more history fades, the more clutching at straws begins....though it'd be nice to think that there's still an unknown centurion survivor out there somewhere who's managed to stay under the radar all of this time!

Jerry Nuovo

Jan 22, 2010
New Jersey,USA
I just thought of a new (silly) revisionist theory.Maybe it was really the Skipper and Gilligan who were on Titanic's Bridge and Gilligan accidentally steered the Titanic onto the side of the iceberg.Next you see the Skipper take off his captain's hat and hit Gilligan's head with that captain's hat. LOL

May 27, 2007
this conversation reminds me of Mad Magazine and cracked magazine skits that were 10 a penny after Cameron's movie came out.

Now, according to Mad the ship grazed the iceberg to get more ice for the drinks of the first class passengers, White Star going above and beyond to keep their passengers happy.
wink.gif

Martin Cooper

Dec 13, 2007
David, Nungesser was a fighter ace during WW1, the planes he flew all had a black heart shape on them with a coffin, skull and bones and candlesticks inside the black heart, he was a top flyer, I wonder what happened to the plane for him and Coli to ditch?

Martin Cooper

Dec 13, 2007
Hi George, Yes, Charles Nungesser was a top French fighter ace of WW1, he had the macabre device on all of his planes, mostly Nieuports and Spads, I think that he had over 40 victims to his credit by the end of the war.

208147.jpg

208148.jpg

208149.jpg

A few more pic's of Nungesser.

May 27, 2007
Hey Martin,
Sounds like he was doing the Danse Macabre with his art on his plan. Actually skulls and crossbones, spads used to be on pirate ships, tombs and emerged during the late middle ages during the black death with everything else that celebrated death. Spads or shovels were used to dig graves which is why they were dipicted with skulls.

Martin Cooper

Dec 13, 2007
Hi George, The Spad I am talking about was a plane. Nungesser stuck to his Nieuports until 1918, then started to fly in a Spad (Societe Pour l'Aviation et ses Derives).

208156.jpg

Regards, Martin.

May 27, 2007
I thought he painted a 'Spade'. although I have never heard of a 'Spad' being referred to as a plane so this is quite a learning experience for me. The only history I studied of the Great War was the Lusitania and the 1927 silent film "Wings".

That is a great painting of Nungesser in his 'Spad' with his jolly roger on the side. Nice to see a plane too instead of a painting or drawing of a ship here on ET. =-)

Martin Cooper

Dec 13, 2007
Hi George, ha ha, yes, it does make a change seeing a plane on here doesn't it. Charles Nungesser ended the war with 43 victories, but there were other French aces with more, these were, Georges Guynemer with 53, and Rene Fonck with 75. Wings, now that's an old one, Clara Bow and Gary Cooper, and also Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels starring Jean Harlow, there was also a Wings BBC TV series a number of years ago, all good stuff, if, like me, you enjoy all things military.

May 27, 2007
Morning Martin, Sure does, thanks for sharing the painting. I love Hells Angles and Wings.

Yes Wings is an oldie. Actually I wish Hollywood would do a remake on that one. It has a good story and some great air shots for the 20's. Actually, Hells Angels is a good movie too. I did not know that Wings had been remade on BBC.

regarding Military movies it depends. I grew up with "Bridge On The River Kwai" and John Wayne movies my dad having been a huge Wayne fan. So I like a few of them. I love "The Eagle Has Landed" and Ken Follett "Jackdaws" both of which are spy thrillers along the lines of Agatha Christie's "The Secret Adversary". So I'm kind of so, so on military movies. I do like Horatio Hornblower though.

Martin Cooper

Dec 13, 2007
Hi George, Yes there have been some great films made over the years, one of my all time greats would have to be 'Where Eagles Dare', with Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood, and that 'captured' Junkers Ju 52 in Alpine winter camo, brilliant film. Yes, Hornblower is good, and so is Sharpe, both based during the Napoleonic wars, when Britain had great men like Wellington and Nelson. The BBC 'Wings' was a series based on flyers in the RFC and their families back home, it wasn't a remake of the old film, some of the 'dogfight' scenes were very good.

Martin.