New UK Titanic Society

P

Paul Lee

A new UK based Titanic Society has been launched: Titanic UK Int.
You can find out more details from 9 Guildford Lawn, Ramsgate, Kent, CT11 9AY

Mike Poirier

Mike Poirier

Congratulations! As they say, the more the merrier. Could you furnish more details about the who, why, etc...?
Mike

P

Paul Lee

I think its run by Bob Pryor, who can be found on the titanicmodel.com forum. Also amongst its members are Doug Faulkner-Woolley. They recently had a mini convention in Kent and toured Lightoller's Sundowner boat. They produce a small pamphlet for members.

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

Titanic UK International? Sounds familiar- I would bet T.I.S. will be getting some of their email! :)

J

John Whitehouse

This seems very interesting. Bob is highly regarded in Titanic community, and if he is involved it's certainly worth looking into.

Shelley Dziedzic

Shelley Dziedzic

"The hull is as sound as the day she went down," he said. Most of the damage to the superstructure has been done by man himself, ramming it with submersibles."

Hmmm... I have a few problems with that statement at the link above I'm afraid! Sound hull? The mind boggles.

Mike Poirier

Mike Poirier

This is certainly disappointing to read, isn't it?!
I must assume that Mr. Pryor has neglected all the evidence presented over the years by many scientists who have visited the wreck. The idea of trying to lift it would have the decks collapse on themselves. Also, he must not realize or is ignoring the fact that the ship is stuck fast in the seabed.
Say something like that was feasible (and this is something I know is absolutely not feasible) it would wash everything out of the ship during its ascent. So what would be left?

I am disappointed the newspapers would carry such a story. It's just a horrible idea and an outlandish project to begin with. Do these supposed investors know that RMST has the salvage rights?

Dave Gittins

Dave Gittins

Note the date of the story, May 2005. Any action since then? Not Pygmalion likely!

John Clifford

John Clifford

quote:

"But we've got the experts to be able to do it."
That is taken from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4512281.stm

I'd have to believe that statement only when the names of these people are made known to us, to allow for a review of their credentials, and other general knowledge issues.
Other than that, I'd advise people to take the position of "I'll believe it when I see it" stance about this person's proposals.​

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Do these supposed investors know that RMST has the salvage rights?<<

Good question. If they don't, then they're not very smart investors. This is the sort of thing that a serious businessperson would check out to make sure everything is on the up and up. They would also check out the facts to be sure these people weren't smoking some serious whacky weed.