New York American Relief Fund

Jun 6, 2007
Hi
My name is Charlene my great grand father was a third class passenger Aaron Willer. He did not make it his wife Bessie received money from the New York American Relief fund. (so I was told) My question is how do I find out more information on this or does anyone have more information they would be willing to share. My library says they can't get me films for other places. So that is out of the question.

Apr 27, 2003
Charlene,
Greetings I will try to help - there was no American Titanic Relief Fund as such, but there were several organisations that did provide relief for the survivors etc. The main one was the American Red Cross which did a large amount of wonderful work in giving support and cash to Titanic survivors and their dependents.
For Mr. Weller (Willer) I have the following:
Weller, Mr. Aaron. (also listed as Harry Willer). Missing. En route to his wife at 1330 South Halstead Street, Chicago, Illinois. From Russia. Was a Tailor aged 37 years (Aaron Weller). Had lived in America for several years but returned to London after failure of his business. Returning to America to start a new business. Married with five children.
Insurance claim C33. Life: $50,000. Property: $10,000. Claims filed by his administrators. Was carrying $200 cash. Widow received $3260 from American Red Cross and $2500 from other Relief Funds.

Best regards
Brian J. Ticehurst Southampton UK

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Brian!

Charlene was referring to the relief fund created by the New York American (the newspaper.)

All my best,

George

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Was the fund collected by The New York American put into the fund controlled by the office of the Mayor of New York? Presumably records of that are still around.

Jun 6, 2007
Thanks for the response

Yes I was referring to the New York American newspaper. They began a fund after the disaster for some of those who had lost husbands or fathers in the sinking, and who needed financial assistance.
From my understanding there was an application which needed to be filled out this is what I want to find out about.

Thank again

C

carol white

Hi Char,
Just got on to read responses and saw that you joined. Glad to see ya here.
Did you get any information on the New York American fund?
Talk to ya later sis