Newcastle AUS Connection

M

Matt Endacott

Hey,
I read in an earlier post that a Titanic officer had visited or lived for a short period in Newcastle Australia. I live in Newcastle (and i know many Australians think very little of it, lol) and am just curious.
If someone wished, i could possibly dig up some info at the City Archives, which hold the addresses of all previous residents and possibly anything else on the officer/crew member.
And despite what some people on the board have said, Newcastle is quite different from it's industrial days some 50years ago.
Best Regards,
Matt

A

Andrew Rogers

Hi Matt,
I think Newcastle is a great place, I always enjoy a trip up the highway.
I have had a few Titanic trips there recently. In July I was at Charlestown library doing a little presentation on my dive and all our Aussie connections. Then I was back at Toronto Library last Thursday (6th Nov) doing it again.
The officer who visited Newcastle was James Moody. A photographer at the "The Star" told me of a crew member he met many years ago when he worked for the Herald. It is possible that many of the crew may have been to Newcastle since it was (and still is) such an important and busy port.
Oh, and passenger Arthur McCrae has a relative there.
I'm also quite fond of your soccer team.
Andrew

M

Matt Endacott

Hello,
I'm just doing some local research - This year Newcastle, Australia is celebrating it's 200th Birthday & i've dug up at the City Library two paper clippings from 1998 detailing a Titanic survivor who lived in Newcastle.
It gives the story of a Mrs Howland who supposedly survived the Titanic and later became a nurse.
During the 1920's, she moved to Newcastle where she opened a Fish & Chip Shop in Newcastle suburb, Merewether.
It also tells of how locals remembered her story of escaping the Titanic and how she'd shuffle along the counter, a legacy of loosing her toes to frostbite following the long wait in the lifeboat.
Can anyone help? Is "Mrs Howland" a true Titanic survivor or simply a liar?
Thanks,
-Matt

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Matt and Andrew! Don't know how I missed these earlier posts...Matt, Andrew is quite right. James Moody did visit Newcastle, and thought very highly of it (apparently he wasn't alone there, either...Bestic also wrote very glowingly of it in his memoirs, contrasting it to the South American ports he visited, and eventually jumped ship there in his early days.

Many of the other officers also visited it - I have a copy of a photo of Lowe as an AB with the crew of his last voyage in sail taken in Newcastle.

Hope I didn't give the impression of denigrating Newcastle in some of my earlier posts - I have family there, and my sister attended Newcastle Uni.

Andrew, my apologies - I owe you a phonecall. Have a lot of catching up to do.

M

Matt Endacott

Hey Inger,
I had no idea Moody, Lowe & Bestic all visited Newcastle!
Could you possibly email me the picture of Lowe in Newcastle, i'd be very interested to see where it's taken. ([email protected])
Thanks for the info,
Best Regards
Matt.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Matt -

I'll be (hopefully) using the photo of Lowe in Newcastle in my upcoming work. The original belongs to the Lowe family, so I can't really distribute it without their permission. It's taken on the deck of the ship, so there are no landmarks that can identify where in Newcastle she was berthed. If you like, however, we can meet up next time you're in Sydney and I'll show it to you. I also have the crew agreements from that voyage, although all they really give you is the dates he was in Newcastle. (As an aside, perhaps we could arrange to meet up, possibly here at the Museum, with Andrew and Daniel and any other folks around Sydney).

I'll find that passage Moody wrote about Newcastle and send it to you - apparently he was very much taken by the warmth of a particular family there who took him in. I'll see if I can hunt up the Bestic excerpt as well for you.

A

Andrew Rogers

Hi Inger and Matt,
Would love to be part of a meet up if it's happening!
Inger, are you in Sydney?
Matt,a bit late notice but have a look at this
http://www.lakemac.com.au/news/news_details.asp?key=1050
I will be at Belmont Library tomorrow (Monday) night! Kind of in your neck of the woods. If you can come along it will be nice to meet up. If you call the library they will give you my mobile ph. number if you want to call.
Bye for now
Andrew

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Hallo Andrew -

I am indeed in Sydney, and have been meaning to get myself organised enough to give you and Daniel a phone call. I'll get a message to you ASAP!

M

Matt Endacott

hey!
Im very sorry Andrew, i got on ET too late and missed the date to go to Belmont Library
sad.gif

My apologies.
I was curious - does anyone know if there were any Australian survivors/victims of the Britannic or Lusitania wrecks?
Why im asking is i came a man in Newcastle who told me a story of how his grandmother had been on the Lusitania. She had been born in Sydney and moved to Newcastle then finally settled somewhere in Queensland.
Anyone survivor fit this?
Thanks

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
Matt, you may want to contact Eric Sauder with this one - he may not have read this thread as it's under a non-Lusitania heading (not that I'm implying anything if you do read this, Erc...
happy.gif
)

He's the person to ask about the Lusitania's international connections. I know he has some information on the Oz side of thigns, although whether he's putting it in the public domain just yet is another question.