Question News articles printed prior to Titanic leaving Southampton

Raych

May 7, 2019
Australia
Does anyone have any scanned copies of newspaper articles discussing Titanic prior to her setting sail? I'm only able to find ones about the sinking itself, and anything prior to that is just basic advertisement or from shipbuilding magazines.

chrisd

May 19, 2012
Hi
I have twice before tried to find any information via this forum (which may I thought have included local newspaper reporting) about the events at the South Western Hotel in Southampton (separate thread) on the night before the maiden voyage (i.e, the night of 9th April 1912) but have had no response on that subject. I wish you luck on your enquiry and will watch to view any responses. I have in mind that one day I will get to visit the Southampton archives and perform my own search of the newspapers of the time.

Nov 14, 2005
Does anyone have any scanned copies of newspaper articles discussing Titanic prior to her setting sail? I'm only able to find ones about the sinking itself, and anything prior to that is just basic advertisement or from shipbuilding magazines.
Not much out there other than what you stated. Mostly ads. There wasn't much reason to write about her until she sank because most of the press had covered the Olympic already. Pretty much like the Apollo program. Everybody that could watched Apollo 11. But by Apollo 13 the networks were hardly even covering it anymore until disaster struck. But keep looking. You never know what you might find. Cheers.

Jun 7, 2020
Hello Raych,

I actually have a copy of the New York Herald published on April 10th (the same in which appears the article Steven Christian gave you the link to), with another article covering the Titanic. Unfortunately, that's all I have... If you'd like, here is a picture of the article :

article New York Herald.jpg

Greetings (and happy Titanic week to you all !),
Manon

Reactions: 1 user