News Release Titanic stern sank in 5 minutes

Eric Paddon

Jun 4, 2002
Anyone noticed Ballard's condescending junk regarding this discovery? If we need any further proof of what an egotist this person is, for whom Titanic was nothing more than a vanity showcase for himself, this proves it.

"Ballard was not impressed with the expedition's find.

"They found a fragment, big deal," he said. "Am I surprised? No. When you go down there, there's stuff all over the place. It hit an iceberg and it sank. Get over it."

What strange words from the man who has never gotten over it on the matter of salvage, and what strange words from a man whose recent return to Titanic didn't find anything remotely close to the significance of this past expedition.

As far as I'm concerned, Robert Ballard is a self-centered jerk and a dishonorable person. I've finally had enough of him to the point where I've pitched out every remaining book in my house that his his name on it, because I can no longer respect him as an "explorer" after reading this rubbish.

Nov 26, 2005
I havne't thrown anything out, but when I do read a Ballard book again I'll take a lot of things that are said with a big gain of salt.
happy.gif

I just find that statement made by him very unnecessary and down right rude, IMO. I find it funny that because of his "Discoverer" title, that the press still runs to him to find out what he has to say about every little Titanic-related thing...as if most in the Titanic community really care anymore.

Oct 17, 2011
I could not agree more with the previous statements. I have previously held ballard in high regard as the discover of the titanic but recent facts that have been brought to my attenion such as the fact that he was sleeping when they found the boiler and that he in general has been against salvage. This latest comment has added to my anti-ballard fire and it will take a apology of some sort to put some water to the flame !

Nov 26, 2005
>>This latest comment has added to my anti-ballard fire and it will take a apology of some sort to put some water to the flame !<<

I would hold my breath if I were you on that apology bit.
happy.gif

I can't say that I'm exactly anti-Ballard, but it's just getting to a point IMO, that really thoughtless things are being said by him such as what he said in this last article. He sounds like a child that's not getting his way. He could have always said "No comment." instead of the attitude he let show with that comment.

Maybe I'm just reading too much into it. *shrug*

I just feel like he put the people involved with this latest find down. It just sounded like a rude gesture to me. But that's just my opinion. I've been known to read too far into things before.

Oct 17, 2011
Just a fan of the site and wanted to put it in my tag line just to get it out there if people wanted to go.... the other site is my personal home page.... Another site i like to go to is www.sclegacy.com .