Newspaper article but did H Rooke go on the Titanic

F

Frances Riddell

I have a news paper article about my great, great grandfather, Harry Rooke, claiming he was on the titanic. After searching Encyclopedia Titanica I failed to find any sing of him. He claims he was a steward, and got on the Titanic by "a dock head jump." He boarded the titanic after waiting on the docks, along with other unemployed men, hoping a member of the crew would not show up. If this happened people waiting where employed on the Titanic there and then.
Does this mean there is no possible hope of proving Harry Rooke was on the titanic and survived?

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I have three phoney crewmen in Adelaide alone. They are two a penny. If he had made a "dockhead (or pierhead) jump" his name would be on this site on the list headed "Substitutes". I'm afraid it's not and he joins the long list of Titanic wannabes.

R

Rod Green

HARRY ROOKE...TITANIC SURVIVOR...OR JUST ANOTHER FRAUD?
I am a great grandson of Harry Rooke and have read the same newspaper article published in the 1950s in The Advertiser, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia. Frances Riddell, I saw your posting from June 17, 2000. Please, contact me at my email address: ([email protected]}.